Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
A
I just put together a cheap computer for a friend whom needed a new one badly. Its a nice budget line system built to last. It has a 200gig WD hard drive, 1 GB of Corsair memory, a Foxconn Micro ATX Motherboard and case, Sempron 64 3000+ processor. Onboard video and audio (to make it super cheap). I get it all together, and im having a hard time getting the computer to see the hard drive. I would get it to work once, then not again. I finally get it detecting the hard drive and install windows. Flawlessly. I get all of the programs installed, and go to restart the computer and it gives me an invalid system disk error. I take the CD out that I had in there, restart, and I get the same error. Upon going into the bios I find that the hard drive is no longer being detected. Puzzled. I unplug the hard drive turn the computer on, let it try to boot, turn it off, replug in the hard drive and turn it back on again. Computer boots to windows XP pretty much instantly. No problems at all, VERY quick little computer. So I shut it down at that point. then turn it back on, again, no hard drive... I did my little procedure ( unplug the hard drive turn the computer on, let it try to boot, turn it off, replug in the hard drive and turn it back on again. Computer boots to windows XP pretty much instantly.) Did the exact same thing over and over. I have the jumper set to master with no other drives, I have the cd-rom on a different IDE channel all together. IM completely puzzled about this, anybody got an idea? The computer runs beautifully for the most part, the only problem I have right now is this one.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
just make sure both ends of the IDE cable are fastened properly. and when i run a single hd, i just remove the jumper altogether. that's the solo-hd configuration.

What do you mean, rhetorical question? 1998.5 SVT --> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2155561/1 #4619 of 6535, born Feb 18, 1998. i'm a smarta$$, don't take it personally
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Just for giggles try and set the jumper to CS on the drive and see what happens.

2001 Volvo S40-Perrin MBC@ 11psi, EST intake, 35% tint, still slow
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
I know this will sound stupid, but first try another IDE cable--I had a similar problem once and that was the culprit (it had been pinched and blacked out intermittently). Could also be a loose IDE socket on the motherboard; try pressing on it while the machine boots to see if that's it. Then again, could be the drive itself. (You do have the HD on the primary IDE channel and the CD on the secondary, right?) Probably not much help, but worth a quick try. Good luck....

'00 SE...that's all
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
You are not supposed to have the jumper set to Master with no Slave. Doing that will give you the exact problems you are having. How long have you been building computers now?

Take the jumper off or put it on Cable Select like WD shipped it out.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

Exactly what I was getting at in my post.

2001 Volvo S40-Perrin MBC@ 11psi, EST intake, 35% tint, still slow
Q
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by CeeBee94Z:

Exactly what I was getting at in my post.

What they said

#3162 of 6535 98 SVT Silver frost Viper Responder 791 w/ 2way remote start Let the modding begin!
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
40pin vs 80pin IDE cable?

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Toadster:
40pin vs 80pin IDE cable?

What's an 80 pin IDE? IDE is 40 pin.

But......some are 40 wire, some are 80 wire.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
A
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
A
You are not supposed to have the jumper set to Master with no Slave. Doing that will give you the exact problems you are having. How long have you been building computers now?

I have no jumper on the Hard drive, its set for Single without a second hard drive. I have tried setting the jumper for CS with no luck. Ill try a different cable next though, I think I Have one laying around.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?

Link Copied to Clipboard