Harrry Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20060216-015853-7367r.htm

Discuss??

DO u think china is a bigger threat?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
Washington Times = Unification Church = Reverend Moon = South Korea is afraid of China because of its geographical proximity.

<hiding in basement from the flamethrowers>

'00 SE...that's all
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I think the biggest threat China poses is an economic one. They are building nukes, and I believe have ICBMs, but the one thing they cannot do is project their Army anywhere far away. Locally, maybe. That's why our military (IMO) is so great. We can project it quickly, and overwhelm you quickly too. China may have the numbers, but we have the technology (at least the stuff they haven't stolen or reverse engineered yet).

Ryan Trollin!
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
If they are building "boomer" style subs like the article is saying then they are a bigger threat. Fortunately they don't intend to attack us. They intend to have the capabilities to attack Tiawan and have us not interfer. They are a bigger threat in the sense the old Soviets were a threat. That is one that we can deal with.

A military that is powerful but backed by a stable and economically viable country is not the same as a nut-job with a brief case nuke that has vowed death to us..

V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
I agree... a buildup of power would be necessary for a showdown over Taiwan. Plus I'm sure China wouldn't mind competing in the global materiel market. But in general the "threat" to the US will be like a Cold War Lite... we could take each other out (deterrence), but there's not necessarily the ideological battle that will prompt us to occupy other countries. I don't see China reverting to a harder-edged form of Communism, since they need the trade to afford the military buildup.

OTOH, I don't necessarily agree that the US' technological advantage is the deal closer it once was. Iraq is showing how a huge Army can be a major factor.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
I think the biggest threat China poses is an economic one. They are building nukes, and I believe have ICBMs, but the one thing they cannot do is project their Army anywhere far away. Locally, maybe. That's why our military (IMO) is so great. We can project it quickly, and overwhelm you quickly too. China may have the numbers, but we have the technology (at least the stuff they haven't stolen or reverse engineered yet).

China has no deployable power, but they can never be invaded, even by the US. So long as we're talking strictly conventional here the US will suffer a lot of losses going into China.

And China cannot militarily invade Taiwan, the US can shoot down whatever they send over.

But the biggest threat yes is economic, there's a massive unskilled labour force there that will do manufacturing jobs for cheap. If the US doesn't pour more money into education, when manufacturing is entirely gone from the US and done in China -- you're going to have a lot of angry Americans just looking to start trouble.

K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
China and America are the most known Superpowers in the world today. If some war waged between us, the world would surly be a victim in the aftermath.

The only thing that is acceptable is that the superpowers are Allies, so treats to one superpower is backed up by the other. Pretty much making us the most powerful nations in the world.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ODC:

China has no deployable power, but they can never be invaded, even by the US. So long as we're talking strictly conventional here the US will suffer a lot of losses going into China.

And China cannot militarily invade Taiwan, the US can shoot down whatever they send over.

But the biggest threat yes is economic, there's a massive unskilled labour force there that will do manufacturing jobs for cheap. If the US doesn't pour more money into education, when manufacturing is entirely gone from the US and done in China -- you're going to have a lot of angry Americans just looking to start trouble.

I disagree that they could not be evaded. With the technology we have with missile and air power, you bomb the ever living [censored] out of them for months. Crush their infrastructure, their combat troops, etc, then you invade. It would be a tough fight still but doable. Wars aren't fought like their used to be, more so since stealth technology ahs come of age.

Ryan Trollin!
O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
I disagree that they could not be evaded. With the technology we have with missile and air power, you bomb the ever living [censored] out of them for months. Crush their infrastructure, their combat troops, etc, then you invade. It would be a tough fight still but doable. Wars aren't fought like their used to be, more so since stealth technology ahs come of age.

Yes, that really worked in Vietnam.

The US can send every missle they have and kill one chinaman each and they'll still be outnumbered. 70% of the country is already living in the stoneage so there's no infrastructure to destroy.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I feel any of the Middle East and Asian countries who have access to nuclear weapons are a huge threat.
Being from Canada, I'm glad to see the USA over in the middle east. People like Hussian and Bin Ladin have to be stopped.
I wish the UN would step up it's efforts to help the poeple in the Sudan area.
I don't however see China a threat in a military way. They are a huge threat to our NA economy. Too much of their goods land on our soils.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard