Next Thread
Print Thread
#1504823 02/16/06 12:38 PM
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Yesterday, I installed new rotors,pads and bled the two front calipers (Using a mityvac brake bleeding pump). I have never done brakes before and I would have to say I did a great job. Brakes are working perfect! You should of seens some of the 11 year old brake fluid that I got out of the two front calipers, and How dry my caliper slid pins were!!! HAA I am surprised that they were functioning correctly! However, I also bled the clutch. Using the mityvac pump. I did not follow the instructions in the "how to" articles. Its completely my fault and I am an idiot somtimes but, Im just trying to get my car running again! I REALLY WISH I DID FOLLOW THE INTRUCTIONS! Because, after using the pump I can no longer get my car into gear! The clutch feels like their is NOTHING there! Its so easy to push to the floor... I Am figuring their is definetly air in the clutch line somewere?? WHAT DO I DO?

Midnight Red 95 Contour SE 5 speed, fully loaded. kkm M.A.F. adapter w/ K&N ru-3530, single Magnaflow muffler w/ no res. 2.25" custom catback exhaust, grafite painted stock 95 SE rims on bfgoodrich touring T/A's, 35% window tint around.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I would go back and bleed it by hand following the instructions

I would also take a turkey baster and remove as much brake fluid from the reservoir as possible then refill with fresh fluid.

Then bleed the brakes at all four corners as instructed and then the clutch.

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
There is no need to bleed the brakes again.

Get some help to bleed the clutch. Have an assistant pump the clutch pedal about a half a dozen times and hold it down and then crack open the clutch bleeder on the slave cylinder, shut the bleeder, and repeat as many times as needed. You can have vacuum applied with the MityVac when you crack the bleeder open if you want (and it may be helpful).

Don't forget that even though the brakes and clutch share the same fluid resevoir, the clutch has a seperate master cylinder. If you allowed the clutch master to go dry, it may take a lot to get it primed again.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Well, I am not sure if it was an act of god or just luck. I was saying prayers last night before bed. I was sitting in my car (with the front on jackstands and the rear ready to be lifted with my jack) and i was pumping the clutch pedal. After about 50 pumps I started to get a pedal!!! I took my car off the jackstands and Sure enough my car is letting me put her it into gear! During my test drive I have noticed: grabs better than it ever has before, and it feels completely different! BUt in a GREAT WAY! I was wonding since i finally have pressure built up with my clutch should I bleed it as in the how too instructions. (LIke is it necessary to let the air out because of the trouble I was experiencing?) Or just leave it alone? As is... I was wondering were the slave cylinder was located. So, their is two spots to bleed the clutch? On top of the tranny and the slave cylinder? The car is driving great but I do not understand what happened!!! Yesterday and this mouring I could not get my car into gear at all! And, the clutch pedal could be pushed down effortlessly... THANKS FOR YOUR INFO JIM! You always such a great help!

Midnight Red 95 Contour SE 5 speed, fully loaded. kkm M.A.F. adapter w/ K&N ru-3530, single Magnaflow muffler w/ no res. 2.25" custom catback exhaust, grafite painted stock 95 SE rims on bfgoodrich touring T/A's, 35% window tint around.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Big Jim:

I only said this because he made comment to 11 year old brake fluid. If he empties the resivior and fills it again it would be a good idea, imo to get fresh fluid down to the calipers

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Brapple, I did not throw your idea out! It was a great Idea and still is. I do have 11yr old brake fluid in my car. Thanks for both of your guys help!!!! My car is running great! That was my first brake job and My brakes are working perfect! Clutch is engading better too!!! CEG IS AWSOME!

D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
My pre98 still lives on!!!!

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Daves95Contour:
Brapple, I did not throw your idea out! It was a great Idea and still is. I do have 11yr old brake fluid in my car. Thanks for both of your guys help!!!! My car is running great! That was my first brake job and My brakes are working perfect! Clutch is engading better too!!! CEG IS AWSOME!

thats good to hear, sometime you just have to get your hands dirty and go for it, most of the time it isn't as bad as you thing and often to takes alot to really mess something up. Key is to always take your time and thing everythign through

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by BrApple:
Originally posted by Big Jim:

I only said this because he made comment to 11 year old brake fluid. If he empties the resivior and fills it again it would be a good idea, imo to get fresh fluid down to the calipers

I think he did that, but if it was as bad as he says, it would not hurt to repeat it again soon.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Daves95Contour:
Well, I am not sure if it was an act of god or just luck. I was saying prayers last night before bed. I was sitting in my car (with the front on jackstands and the rear ready to be lifted with my jack) and i was pumping the clutch pedal. After about 50 pumps I started to get a pedal!!! I took my car off the jackstands and Sure enough my car is letting me put her it into gear! During my test drive I have noticed: grabs better than it ever has before, and it feels completely different! BUt in a GREAT WAY! I was wonding since i finally have pressure built up with my clutch should I bleed it as in the how too instructions. (LIke is it necessary to let the air out because of the trouble I was experiencing?) Or just leave it alone? As is... I was wondering were the slave cylinder was located. So, their is two spots to bleed the clutch? On top of the tranny and the slave cylinder? The car is driving great but I do not understand what happened!!! Yesterday and this mouring I could not get my car into gear at all! And, the clutch pedal could be pushed down effortlessly... THANKS FOR YOUR INFO JIM! You always such a great help!

Congratulations!!!

I think that you need to do no more. If the clutch pedal is working properly now, I doubt that you have any air in the system. It is possible that you did have a little that has worked itself out by sitting. This doesn't hppen often in brakes, but does sometimes with hydraulic clutches. As far as I know, there is no bleed port on the clutch master. You should not need to bleed it.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard