Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1503256 02/14/06 06:18 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
I found this on Chevron's site. Looks like gasoline still lacks sufficient cleaner - or do they just want to sell more product. What do you think?
http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/nafl/auto/content/fueladd.shtm

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Techron is pretty good stuff.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Pat Goss of Motorweek recommends both Techron and Berryman's B12 to clean the fuel injectors.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
I used to use Techron but -- for the past 2+ yrs. or so have been religiously using Berryman's B12 AND (when I can get it) "Seafoam".

A can of B12/Seafoam in the gas tank -- when you TOTALLY fill it up that is -- does wonders to keep the engine/fuel system(s) running top notch.

I have noticed that Seafoam causes a LOT more 'smoke' to come out the exhaust -- (in comparison to B12) -- so don't freak out if/when you see it.

Berryman's B12 also saved my A$$ from having to replace the cats (out of warranty). B12 has been keeping the CEL OFF ever since I got the dreaded P0420 code 2+ yrs. ago.

Prior to this I would use Techron and 'Catalytic (Catastropic?) Converter Cleaner' -- but _since then_ I am swearing by B12.

Gerry

P.S. My 'other' car is a 1996 Porsche 993 Coupe and I _also_ use B12/Seafoam when I fill her up too.

1997 Ford Contour SE V6 K+N Michelin MXV4's 95,000 miles
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
From what I have read, the additives only maintain the fuel system and will not clean dirty injectors. I watched guys at Jiffyscrew clean injectors and it sounds like they are going to blow up the customers engine. I only take company vehicles there, not my own personal car. Too many morons there.
From what Chevron says none of the oil companies have enough cleaner in their gasolines to meet manufacturers requirements.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Gerry_M:
I used to use Techron but -- for the past 2+ yrs. or so have been religiously using Berryman's B12 AND (when I can get it) "Seafoam".

A can of B12/Seafoam in the gas tank -- when you TOTALLY fill it up that is -- does wonders to keep the engine/fuel system(s) running top notch.

I have noticed that Seafoam causes a LOT more 'smoke' to come out the exhaust -- (in comparison to B12) -- so don't freak out if/when you see it.

I have noticed that as well about the SeaFoam, that it causes more smoke. Is that good, does that mean that it is getting more crap out of there?

SeaFoam is harder to find and more expensive the B12. I have found B12 at WalMart. My local CAP store had B12 on sale once for $1.95, I got a bunch!

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
Hi,

I don't think the amount of 'smoke' is any "indictator" of whether it's doing a better job of B12 or not. I think it's just a property of the chemicals in the fluid.

BTW, I clicked on your link and was impressed with your engine setup ...esp. the K+N filter system.

Can you remember what "part number" or "product code" that K+N setup is?. Does it have a 'hole' for the air temperature sensor?

Thanx,

Gerry

1997 Ford Contour SE V6 K+N Michelin MXV4's 95,000 miles
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Gerry_M:
Hi,

I don't think the amount of 'smoke' is any "indictator" of whether it's doing a better job of B12 or not. I think it's just a property of the chemicals in the fluid.

BTW, I clicked on your link and was impressed with your engine setup ...esp. the K+N filter system.

Can you remember what "part number" or "product code" that K+N setup is?. Does it have a 'hole' for the air temperature sensor?

Thanx,

Gerry

Gerry,

You are probably right about the smoke not really meaning anything.

Thanks for the compliment on my engine set-up. It's nothing special. I chose a different K & N than the conventional wisdom on this board suggests. I was trying to fill up that area, and liked the open top. It's a K & N RX- 4730 . The intake adapter is from Bomz racing. I got it on ebay a few years ago. It does have a mounting spot for the Air Temperature sensor. Other things I've done. Ford racing 9mm plug wires, Autolite Double plat plugs, fluids... I did paint my UIM. I was going for silver, but like how it turned out. That's about it. There are some extra wires visible in my engine bay. My LX did not have fog lights and I added and wired them. I also added an airhorn.

Good luck!

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I was thinking about this... Are there any chemists in the house?

Would there be some sort of advantage to running half a bottle of B12 and half of Sea Foam (Techron, or whatever) in the same tank? I was wondering if there might be some reaction that might be beneficial in the injector cleaning.

Any ideas?

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I'm not a chemist but I would advise not mixing chemicals together. There is no way to tell how they can react with each other.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard