Next Thread
Print Thread
#1501049 02/11/06 09:28 PM
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Well I got a 95 Contour SE with the 2.5 Duratech V6 in it.
I'm very mechanially inclined, and my father has been teaching me since I was a youngin hes been a mechanic for over 30years and been building High-performance transmissions for quite some time.

I received this car about a year ago to be fixxed, they thought it had a blown motor.
It sat on the lot for about a year and they decided they didn't want it so they transferred me the title.

I really didn't want to do the engine swap because its a BIG motor in a tiny car.
I recently did a swap put a new 3.0 in my sisters 98 Taraus, it wasnt bad.. about 14hours.
They call for 22 or some odd hours to swap motors in the Contour. I'm pretty sure, ill have to check in my guide.

Anyways.. I brought it up in my garage and popped it up on some jack stands, as I rolled under it I noticed that the oil pan was off and missing two caps.
This motor was a remanufactured Ford motor and they cut the crank and puter .025 bearings in it.
Here the guy replaced the bearings and put stock bearings in it which caused slop and it just ripped the bearings to shread.
I herd theres no other bearings in this motor like the cams and soforth So I'm thinking this is my only problem, well I'm hoping.

I'm going to purchase two rods and put the caps on and replace all the bearings.

Now I know some of you may say dont do that due to you should match the rod and cap, due to square bores, ect.. and itll never run right. Well I've done this to a lot of motors and they all turned out fine for me.

Are there any other mechanical problems with these motors that I should be aware of?
And also how hard is it to do the 3.0 duratech swap?
I plan on fixing the motor and selling it.
Has over $500 worth of eletronics I put in it.

Thanks

-Jared

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome . Most of your questions should be answered at the 3.0 Forum.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=3L

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Welcome to CEG!

I'm not sure I would rebuild the bottom if it has been open to the weather.

Originally posted by Jared:

Now I know some of you may say dont do that due to you should match the rod and cap, due to square bores, ect.. and itll never run right. Well I've done this to a lot of motors and they all turned out fine for me.

You cannot mix these rods and caps, due to the fact that they are "cracked" and not machined. If you purchase new ones they will come together.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard