Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1499490 02/09/06 04:04 AM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Is leaving a car battery on a concrete floor harmful?

I have heard that it can drain the battery faster than usual, but have heard recently that that is an urban legend.

Any factual input anybody knows of?

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150 For Sale195/55/15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on Steelies <10k miles - $300 PM me for more info
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"Is leaving a car battery on a concrete floor harmful?"
No.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/www/faqs/tech_talk/maintenance/storing.htm

Edit. It might harm the concrete floor if there is spilled acid on the bottom of the battery.

Last edited by Tony2005; 02/09/06 04:12 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Urban legend. One that seems hard to kill.

When my father owned a service station, old batteries were kept in a storage area with a concrete floor behind the station. At times, when I needed a battery and could not afford one, I would take the battery tester and test the old batteries to find one that still had some life. Even after they had been on concrete, outside, for several months I could always find a usable battery.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I've had several problems with keeping batteries on concrete. Car batteries, and cordless drill batteries. Have had them go dead quite rapidly by leaving them sit on concrete (cordless drill battery was dead over night). Once re-charged, everything was fine. But it was almost as if the concrete sucked the juice out of the battery. Not sure.. just my experience.

~Eric

2000 CSVT Silver Frost: #942 of 2150 HID Projectors and Fog Light Mod, Optomized TB, MSDS headers 2003 Silverstone Z
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
I know cold has a bigg effect on battery life. Sitting on concrete could have contributed if it were significantly colder than the rest of the room/garage, esp. on the cordless drill batteries. But I have left car batteries on my garage floor for a month w/o any troubles. Just my .02
Scott

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Eric L:
Is leaving a car battery on a concrete floor harmful?

I have heard that it can drain the battery faster than usual, but have heard recently that that is an urban legend.

Any factual input anybody knows of?

heres the deal. todays car batteries have no problems sitting on the ground. decades ago however, if you put a car battery on the ground it would slowly discharge itself. im not quite sure why but i think it has something to do with teh battery "being grounded". again you should be able to put a modern car battery on the ground and not have any problems, although most people still dont recommend it for some reason.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
In cold weather leaving the battery on the ground, especially concrete, will cause it to freeze quicker. Yes electrolyte does freeze. The lower the battery voltage the quicker it will freeze as well.

In a high humidity environment leaving a battery on the ground is "suppose" to cause it to drain/discharge quicker. However there is no proof it is because it is from the contact with the gound and not just condensation between the two battery posts. (i.e. the more logical explanation)

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by Tony2005:
"Is leaving a car battery on a concrete floor harmful?"
No.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/www/faqs/tech_talk/maintenance/storing.htm

Edit. It might harm the concrete floor if there is spilled acid on the bottom of the battery.

The ONLY other explaination for the concrete effect is 'Out of site, out of mind' The person 'forgot' the battery was there.....

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE
W
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
W
Battery cases used to be made of materials that had a higher rubber content, and used a lot of carbon to make them Black. The carbon content of the cases tended to make them self-discharge easier. Here's a little more info dispelling the myth:
Battery "Tech"

First post, so I don't know if the URL is going to work or not.....

'97 Mercury Mystique Zetec/ATX (Wife's) '96 Ducati 900SS (Mine!) '86 Toyota P/U (it gets the bike to the track...)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by WillBob:

First post, ...

Welcome .

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard