Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Just did an oil change and decided it was time to replace the air filter as well. Picked up all my supplies at Wal-Mart, which only sells Fram air filters. But since i have used them before with no issue i picked one up. Anyway i do the oil change, then go to put the new filter in, and i notice it looks COMPLETELY different than the one i had in there (also a fram). So i think i may have bought the wrong one, until i notice a note in the box that says they have reworked the design, and a guarantee that it flows just as well. Well, looking at it I wonder how this can be true. There is a very large rubber "hat" on top, and the filter itself is much skinnier. It seems like to save money, they just moddified the bottom of another existing filter so that it would fit in the SVT's pipe. Anyway, i put it in, trusting their expertise, and i can plainly see that the new "hat" is blocking way more of the intake off than the old filter did. Startup the car and i notice somethign is funny. After a day of driving, i definitely notice some minor hesitation when i first hit the gas at low rpms, and when i let off the gas. Since i changed nothing else from my previous configuration, and I have no CEL's to speak of, I gotta go with the filter as the culprit.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Swap for a better filter & report if there is a difference.

That will give us the confirmation about FRAM filters.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
I put in the new craptastic capped version and it threw a code on mine. It really screws up the air flow to the sampling tube. Even with the screen on!

Should have just kept my Wix until I get the CAI.

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Great (i mean not really great), at least it's not just me then. Should we call/write Fram? I mean it's obvious the filter does NOT flow like the old one. And im not sure wal mart will give me my money back on this.

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
i have a fram filter and it seems fine

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
How old? This seems to be a recent change. Here is a PDF of the difference. You can see the new one (on the right) has a cap that covers the entire element and relies solely on air getting around the filter. That cap blocks off most of the stock air tube though. It also has a narrower core.

http://www.fram.com/pdf/CA7730.pdf

I looked around, came across some similar complaints on a PT cruiser forum. Just called fram and left a message.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
How much are you guys paying for the Fram filters?

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by tbirdjayc:
How old? This seems to be a recent change. Here is a PDF of the difference. You can see the new one (on the right) has a cap that covers the entire element and relies solely on air getting around the filter. That cap blocks off most of the stock air tube though. It also has a narrower core.

http://www.fram.com/pdf/CA7730.pdf

I looked around, came across some similar complaints on a PT cruiser forum. Just called fram and left a message.

oh... mine id the fram air hog high flow filter... it doesnt look like either of those. its a more pointy cone

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Should have just bought a K&N drop-in filter. You can probably get them for ~$40-$45, and they have a million mile warranty. Might be more expensive now, but will save in the long run, and not to mention give better performance.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
i actually saw a thing on slickdeals.net where you can get K&Ns for $27 shipped.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard