Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Dec1000 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
I just had my oil changed and after getting it home I put in a can of BG RF-7 oil treatment. After about a half hour of driving, the CEL light came on. after doing some reading on the code I found that contaminated oil can cause this code. Does anybody think this may be causing the light to come on?

CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P1381 Cam Timing Advance is excessive . mybe someone will ring in and tell us what it means.

D
Dec1000 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
The motor is the 2L 4 cylinder engine in a 1998 Mercury Mystique.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
From their Web site:

" BG RF-7 is a specially developed formula for engine oil which helps increase engine compression and power by increasing the viscosity of the oil. It also helps seal rings to increase compression and reduce blow-by. "

This is a no-no.

The VCT mechanisim that adjusts cam timing needs OEM oil viscosity. Change the oil back and the code should go away. If you have blowby problems test to see if it is the rings or valves. New valve seals may be all that is required.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
D
Dec1000 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Drained the oil and replaced the filter. Drove it for a little bit and the CEL light came back on. I guess now I will try to replace the camshaft position sensor.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
If the cam position sensor is bad, you will have lots of trouble starting the car because the start of the firing order cannot be determined. In effect there will be a coin-toss choice each time you crank it over. There is also a code for the cam sensor.

Make sure the VCT connector is plugged into the top of the valve cover.

Test the VCT solenoid coil for continuity at the connector.

Run some oil system cleaner like Marvel Mystery Oil to remove varnish buildup.

Check the timing belt.

Check oil pressure.

The computer activates the VCT solenoid at raised RPM's. This allows oil pressure to push a piston which retards exhaust cam timing. VCT increases cam overlap and replaces the EGR system. If the solenoid does not open, or if the oriface is blocked, or if the piston is stuck, or if the oil pressure is insufficient - the system will not work. Also if the static timing has jumped, cam position will be off.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
D
Dec1000 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Ran the engine cleaner and still have the code. The VCT wire is plugged in ok. Looked at the timing belt and it looks like it is walking on the sprocket a little. Think I will replace the belt and idlers and tension pulley. While I have the valve cover off is there a way I can test the VCT soleniod to make sure it is ok? Does anybody know where I can get the tool to put in the slots to align the cam. I just bought this car a couple weeks ago and don't know the history of it.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
There is info (and a good write up) around for changing the timing belt, making an alignment tool, VCT sprocket-to-cam alignment during installation (this is important). May be in the Zetec maintanence forum.

If the VCT solenoid coil has low ohm continuity and the computer is giving it voltage, it has to be stuck or blocked from getting oil (or timing jumped). Somewhere I read that you can jump the VCT to the battery to activate it. You could see it move with a timing light. Better research that though.

Read up anyway. The idler and tensioner should be replaced with the belt. May even want to replace the water pump while in there,

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard