Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Hello everyone, so here is the story. My car is up for smog but I know it will not pass because the CEL is on. I took the car to get the code read and this is what appeared P1120. The car turns on and everything but when coming to a stop the throttle tends to hang up and then slowely return to idle. It also seems to lose power after 3000 RPMS. I have already replaced the TPS and was told that I maybe need to trace the wire back to the cars computer to find a break or perhaps the computer itself need to be replaced. Also there is a solid 5Volts at the TPS wire leading into it. All of your help will be greatly apprecited, I need to fix this to get the beast back in order. Thank you very much for your time. Peace..

2000 SVT-Black-THE ONLY SVT TOUR IN ELA-SHO CAI-K&N-ProFlow MAF-Parada Spec2's on 18 inch OZ Superturismo GT's-Front and Rear Tower Brace-TCE Wilwood BigBrakeKit-Stage 2 R/R AXles from DSS
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
You install the TPS correctly?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I had the same code, new TPS, IAC, and intake manifold gaskets seemed to fix it.

1998 T-Red SVT Contour #2588 of 6535 2005 F-150
I
I
I seem to have a similar issue. My 95 Contour will not pass smog on Idle but passes the rest. I do smell gas when it sits and idles so I have it in the shop right now and hope to find out soon what it is.

D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
The TPS was installed correctly. I followed all the steps accordingly. It is a strange situation. Thanks for the feedback so far.

2000 SVT-Black-THE ONLY SVT TOUR IN ELA-SHO CAI-K&N-ProFlow MAF-Parada Spec2's on 18 inch OZ Superturismo GT's-Front and Rear Tower Brace-TCE Wilwood BigBrakeKit-Stage 2 R/R AXles from DSS
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Any other ideas out there, of what this could be? I checked the TPS to make sure it was installed correctly and it was all good. Any other info or stories will be much appreciated.

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Check the yellow wire for 5V and the brown wire for ground with the TPS connector disconnected.

Then backprobe the white wire with the connector re-connected to the TPS and key-on-engine-off. What are the voltages at different throttle openings, e.g., closed, half-open, and fully open.

I'm in Santa Ana. If you can't figure it out I can help out.

D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Any help is greatly appreciated because this problem has got me stumped and I need to pass smog ASAP. One question by backprobing do you mean following the wire back to the cars computer, or what does this mean. Thanks for your help.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
When I got my TPS from autozone for my SVT they actually gave me the wrong one and when you open the throttle it brakes it. I ended up with one from a Crown Vic. Maybe check the voltage and make sure it is changing.

Green 2000 SVT #1166 mods-K&N and Custom heat shield, optimized y pipe, Magnaflow center resonator, DMDhttp://www.geocities.com/savinoss/Cars.html -Wifes car 99 Mystique V6 5 spd
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Thanks for the info. I will do that and see what happens. Peace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard