Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
First off, I did search and didnt find anything to relevant. Second, tha car is a 1998 CSVT, 2.5L Duratech, 5 speed, all stock with 788k miles. The car has had the UIM/LIM and IAC cleaned, new water pump, new plugs and I think new PCV and fuel filter about 8-10k miles ago.

The problem: The car normally idles about 1k RPm on the factory tach. When cold out and car has been sitting it idles real rough for about the first minute and surges/stumbles. After that point it idles and drives fine. It also has what feels to be a miss (like a bucking sort of) at low RPM (under 2000) under high load. RPMs never jump, so I dont think it s the clutch going out. Car has a CEL. Ideas?

Also, is there a way to pull codes without having the car scanned?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
You need the scan tool to scan for codes or scan CEL codes free at Autozone or Advance Auto.

Clean throttle body and see if it improves.

Edit. TB cleaning
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=920243&Forum=trouble&Words=p0401&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=919728&Search=true#Post920243

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by lightngsvt:
When cold out and car has been sitting it idles real rough for about the first minute and surges/stumbles.

Typically this would be excess unmetered air (vacuum leak) or secondaries not fully closed.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
Quick update, I went and had the codes scanned today. THey pulle a PO420 and a PO430, which are excesivly low flow through the converter in bank 1 and bank 2. I called the dealer about this and they said Ford has an 8 yr / 80k mile warranty on emmisions parts. So Im dropping it off tomorrow for them to verify its a warranty item. I have also noticed that my mileage has dropped to about 260-270 miles per tank.

If I have to pay to replace cats, on top of the clock spring in the column that needs to be replaced, the A/C that needs work, front brakes that I should change and some surface rust on the bottoms of the doors that need to go into the body shop and have repaired I seriously think of trading it in on a Fusion, or looking for a FSVT.

L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
I took it to the dealership today, they verified the converters are bad and are covered under the 8/80 warranty. The reset the computer and the parts should be in next Wednesday, hopefully that fixes the problem!

D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Would you know what else is covered under the 8yr/80 mile emission warranty. Like would it cover a new IAC or any part not allowing the car to pass smog. Thanks.

2000 SVT-Black-THE ONLY SVT TOUR IN ELA-SHO CAI-K&N-ProFlow MAF-Parada Spec2's on 18 inch OZ Superturismo GT's-Front and Rear Tower Brace-TCE Wilwood BigBrakeKit-Stage 2 R/R AXles from DSS
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
No, honestly I dont. I didnt research it beyond what I needed to know for my car. The replaced my cats and exhaust manifolds free of charge this week.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by DarKSidE:
Would you know what else is covered under the 8yr/80 mile emission warranty. Like would it cover a new IAC or any part not allowing the car to pass smog. Thanks.

For certain years, California got a 7/70 instead of the 8/80 due to a quirk in the way California regulated emissions before the federal government did. Not sure when, if ever, it has changed to 8/80 for California residents.

The actual warranty coverage is listed in the warranty document. It may be in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, check out www.fleet.ford.com and download one.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard