Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Anybody know how to get a coolant level sensor - the white bit that twist locks into the bottom of the coolant tank. Mine is the most likely culprit in a persistent coolant low warning light.

Autozone had no idea what I wanted, said it was dealer only. local dealer said I can only buy the entire tank, but that its obsolete...

Figured I'd ask before hunting much more. If its here on CEG I couldn't find it, so sorry if this has been covered previously.

Scott

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Before you do anything else you should be aware that the factory calibration on our cars is messed up. Even with a new sensor (which I think only comes with a new coolant bottle) you will still have a persistant coolant light unless you keep the fluid level about 1/2" above full.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Yep, I'm on it Jim. I may only have a few posts here but I've been on the mailing list since 99 or 00 and owned this car since Mar '01

Finally getting around to dealing with this post I put up about a year ago.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=802090&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Wiring is good, float in the tank moves around as I'd expect, leads me to the finger looking sensor.

Scott

D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
I recently (11-2005)replaced the coolant sensor in my wife's car after low coolant light going on and off with no relationship to the level of coolant. I did not have to buy the entire tank. I remove bolts that held bottle to the inner fender. Then lifted up the tank removed & replaced sensor. Total time 5-8 mins. The repair was a success and I do not have to overfill the bottle. My wife has '96 SE 2.5 manual trans. If you cannot find sensor I could check at local dealership where I got my sensor. Check on www.motorcraft.com before buying entire tank. My email is danjginnaty@yahoo.com Good luck Dan
Test to check the switch is page 3-7 in haynes repair manual.

Last edited by Dan the rug man; 01/22/06 07:07 PM.

Good Luck Dan 96 SE 2.5 V-6 89 Silverado 4 x 4 with snow plow no rust
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Part number F5RZ-17B649-A. About $20 is what I paid. Maybe a little less. It's probably a dealer only part. I replaced mine a few months ago but it didn't fix the problem. Hopefully replacing yours will fix the problem.
Karl

*** It's all about consistency! *** *** Previously 88SVT *** 06 F150 Supercrew 5.4L FX4 98 SVT Contour #4362 Born 1/6/1998 86 Ranger GT (For Sale) 69 Fiat 850 Sport Spider (For Sale) 67 Formula-S Barracuda

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard