Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
About 2 months ago I did a UIM/LIM swap on my fiancee's 98 contour w/ 2.5L duratec. Everything went fine and it fixed the stalling problem, but ever since you have been able to smell a gas like smell through the vents whenever you run the heat (haven't tried AC yet...its cooooold here). Does anyone have an idea what could cause this? Maybe a vacuum line hooked up improperly or something? I really want to get the smell taken care of, it's almost nauseating...

Thanks,
Neal

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Any CELs? 9 times out of 10, when you get a gas smell, it is from unburnt gas in the catalytic converters. Of course, you also get a rotten egg and sulfur smell with it. In addition, put some newspapers under the engine when you shut down for the night and see if there are drops of gas on the newspaper in the morning.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Injector seals if you did't replace both of them when you had the manifolds off - been there, done that... Sniff around the UIM when the engine is running and you will catch a wiff!

N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
No, I did not replace the injector seals. I couldn't find them anywhere around here, and had to have the car back up and running asap.

Can you say without a doubt that is most likely the cause of this smell? I guess I could smell a *faint* odor of gas from the IM area, but I just figured it was due to removing the injectors and a bit of gas getting spilled somewhere.

Is it possible there is something else wrong? I mean you can only smell it when the heat is on...

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I took mine out to clean the tips and didn't replace the seals. A few weeks later I started to smell gas on and off. The smell came from under the UIM. When I pulled the injectors again to replace the seals 2 came out too easy - probably the ones that leaked. Replaced both seals on all and the smell is gone. I had to order them from Standard Auto because no one here stocked them. Plan your parts orders because Contour parts are becoming rare.

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by ndolsongtp:
No, I did not replace the injector seals. I couldn't find them anywhere around here, and had to have the car back up and running asap.

Can you say without a doubt that is most likely the cause of this smell? I guess I could smell a *faint* odor of gas from the IM area, but I just figured it was due to removing the injectors and a bit of gas getting spilled somewhere.

Is it possible there is something else wrong? I mean you can only smell it when the heat is on...

You cannot say without a doubt, this is the internet...

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
OK...how much are the seals then? It'll probably only take 2 hours tops to do, so I have no problem fixing it (especially if it stops the complaining from the woman..heh..)

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
the UIM/LIM cleaning how-to specifically states that if you don't replace them, or clean that area up, you will have that smell regardless.

Parts list and prices are in the how-to as well.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
The nose seals were about 6 bucks and the upper, the ones that are probably leaking, are $19. Be nice to the injectors! The protectors come off of the nose sometimes and will expose the pointy valve on the end. Clean them up, put some oil on the new seals and slip them on. They will be much harder to install but will "pop" into the fuel rail when fully seated.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard