Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
For those of you keeping track at home...

98 se v6 atx 122k miles on it.

Wife mentions the car overheating while visiting family for christmas.

When I get home and drive the car, I also discover the alternator is not charging.

Charging the battery I discover that won't hold a charge.

Order a WP, thermostat and Alt, and buy a battery locally.

Replace water pump & thermostat. Endure sheer torture to replace Alt. Install new battery.

Upon reassembly the car won't run, CEL indicates IAC.

Today troubleshot the IAC, discovered the ground wire is open to the PCM. Trace wire, can not find break, replace wire entirely. Fix IAC.

Now have Moose! No kidding, I now have the moose! Run to home depot for 1/2" copper plug, install plug, kill moose.

Car now runs. Changed the plugs while it was all apart (why not?). Car runs very well. Cools, charges, and does not give CEL. Now if it will pass state smog inspection later this month, we are home free.

Thanks to all who wrote with help and suggestions. Major thanks to Ray and the folks who participated in the various alternator discussions.

Rest in peace, Ray McNairy. I remember reading about him finding and fixing the throttle hang which lead me to the moose fix. I miss his posts and banter.

You'd swear reading this I abuse the car, but I don't. My wife drives it and she drives like a little old lady. Easy throttle, easy brake, never thrashes on it. I go out and drive it a little hard to blow the carbon out every once in a while, but otherwise it gets agressive scheduled maintenance and lives an easy life.

Thanks again,

Scott

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Congratulations on fixing your SE!

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Ya, congrats. It's a good feeling when you fix it all up and the car runs right!

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
and, then it passed state inspection... Rah. All that's left is the trunk leak. Need a dryish day when I can throw someone in the trunk and throw a hose at it. Its not the vents or the tail lamps.

Scott

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard