Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Yes, but I would have traded it before the value plummeted like a rock (~2 years after purchasing). Decisions being made now would be much easier if I was driving a RWD something.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:
I've got an answer , but with a twist . If I had it to do all over again , I would have KEPT my '95 SE , and NOT have bought my CSVT (traded the '95 in on my SVT - to buy the SVT new in '01) . The SVT has been a pretty good car to me , but not without headaches . I had MANY issues with it early-on , that took it back to the dealer many times , most of which were resolved - a couple that I just live with (not that I should HAVE to) . The '95 was SUCH a better car build & quality-wise it's not even funny . You HAVE to have owned both back-to-back to fully comprehend what I'm saying . Plus , I could drive that car anywhere at anytime without fear of any issues whatsoever . I autocrossed it , �¼-miled it ... just drove the wheels off it without a second thought . I wish I could say ANY of that about my SVT - and it's only got a hair over 30,000 miles on it . Not to mention that the '95 would've been paid off years ago & I would still have my sportbike , had I kept it (sold it for extra $$) . My SVT is a great car , but I wish I could really enjoy it , without fear of hurting it , or something hapening to it . With that being said , it's still unclear to me how much longer I'll keep it . Until then , however , it'll be handled with kid gloves - trust me .

I had a '96 SE right up to the day that I bought my SVT, and still "technically" own the '96. I completely disagree with you. Both hold the exact level of build quality, and I love both of them. I would have definately still bought the SVT , had I known what I know now. I also would still have modded exactly as I have now. All but the "clear corners", that Mark and I surgically modded with The Magic Stick . I feel just as the quote says below...

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Very good question.

I voted yes but after thinking about it I am not sure. If there was no contour website then I wouldn't have found all the aftermarket parts and help online. When I purchased my 96 SE back in 98, I was mainly looking for another Ford possibly Taurus SHO or Thunderbird. I told the dealer that I am looking for one with a factory sunroof and MTX and it had to be blue.He didn't have anything like that at the time except for the 96 SE. I also looked at it as a family starter car since my girlfriend at the time had a kid. But the test drive sold me when the salesman said to open it up and it did.

So once the 96 got wrecked it took me a year but I did get another, an SVT this time!!!

Originally posted by Davo:
Good work, Dave. You're definitely the #1 interior guy around these parts; always innovating.

Redline Goods ShifterBoots:5% Discount
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
HELL YES!!!!

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Absolutely. I liked the Contour well before I could drive, even though I had never ridden in one in person (even have an 8th grade journal entry on it). To say I've always wanted one might be an overstatement, but to say the car fits me perfectly is not. It was a shame mine had so many problems, but probably for the better that I sold it when I did. I will own an SVT someday, but not for my reliable daily driver.

I do love my Maxima, but even with all of the features (both big and small) and ride comfort it's got it can't truly replace the Contour in the sense that it's "my" car.

(However ... I'm beginning to wonder if I could ever go back to owning solely a Contour having enjoyed all the features in my Maxima right now!)

P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Yes I would it it again, but not with a zzzzzZetec. I wish I would have bought one with a Duratec.

'98 Contour Pacific Green(Modded) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676416 FS:'98-00 Contour front bumper.Brand new unused (Non-SVT)
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
i voted prob. not...i have a love/hate relationship with the car...i didnt have much of a choice at the time..the car i was driving at the time decided to die...right in front of the ford dealership...so walking by i noticed the car...liked the look..kinda,so it was a v6..okay..mtx..alright...test drive..i love it!!! didnt make it more than 300 feet from the dealership when i turned around and told them i wanted it...if i could do it again...yeah,i still would've bought it i guess...i would've left it stock..except for exhuast and intake...i liked it so much better when it looked like a stock se....today...i love her...a month ago i couldnt stand the thought of having to work on it again..

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
Actually, there's one more car I'd like to add that I'd be interested in apart form the CSVT:

I really didn't like them before, but for some reason that car in red is really growing on me ...

Oh hell, who am I kidding, I want it in black .

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
i would - if the question is directed at the time of original purchase. i.e., i bought mine new in august of '98....and at that time, the only other cars i was interested in were (new) preludes, passat 1.8t's, cougars, and a lone demo E36 318i manual. at that time i was driving a '93 honda civic ex coupe and was torn over whether i wanted another coupe or if i was ready to step up to something more "practical" as a fresh-out-of-college entrant into the working world. looking back at those choices and others on the market at that time - the CSVT was and is clearly the best choice in my mind. the practicality of 4-doors, the exclusivity of the SVT pedigree, the unique styling, the balanced performance and bang-for-the-buck.....you couldn't beat it. my budget limited me to a strippo, plain-jane passat....the bmw was pushing my budget even as the "runt" of the E36 line and very "ordinary" compared to the E36 M3's i lusted after....the prelude was a close 2nd to the CSVT but just didn't ignite a fire in me....and the cougar would've swayed me over a non-SVT contour but didn't hold a candle to the SVT version.

the CEG factor is crucial to my ongoing desire to get another one - the good-times factor of the CSVT ownership was multiplied several times over by the nature of this community (especially at that time), and probably kept me happy with it longer than i otherwise would have been given the niggling problems i had with it for a while. however, the CEG factor didn't have any bearing on my purchase - i didn't know there was such an animal at that time!

the CSVT is the only car i've owned that i really feel passionate about and wish i still had. the RSX-S that followed was a great performer but a little too boy-racer and impractical....the grand cherokees that i had/have are great for what they are but certainly no fun to drive (except in the mud, which i only rarely have the opportunity to do)...the miata was excellent and i want another one, but i couldn't live with it as a daily driver...and the G35c was gorgeous and fun to drive but sheer misery to own.

so yes, i'd definitely do it again.

blake --former CSVT owner-- MINE: 2002 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 - stone white/taupe HERS: 2005 acura TL 5AT non-navi - satin silver/quartz GARAGE ORNAMENT: 1962 chevy C10 fleetside pickup - tan/rust
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Not a chance.

From a durability standpoint, it's been pretty decent with the exception of the transmission.

This car is flat out NOT friendly to someone with even a small family. Cramped quarters front and back...ONE usable cupholder...LOUSY interior lighting....AWFUL rear seat entry and exit...

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to drive; but to do it all over again, I would trade off some fun for more every day practicality (why the hell can't I have both...?). That is afterall why I bought the car in the first place. I think my old Formula in stock form would have been more practical than this thing.

98 C-SVT
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard