Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Post Says It All!! When The Key Is Turned To The Run Position, The Starter Will Start The Car And Remain Starting The Car...WTF??!! The Car Is Running At This Point But Still Cranking. Any One Had This Happen?? When The Key Is Turned Off And Even When Removed, The Starter Continues To Crank The Flywheel, However It Will Not Start Back Up While Doing This Silly Phenomonon I Guess Because The Ignition Is Not Being Engaged To Send A Signal To The Coil Pack/Crank Trigger. The Cranking Will Eventually Subside.

Checked The Wiring To The Starter As Much As Possible...Battery Is Optima Red Top And All Wiring There Is Fine Off The Terminals. Am I Missing Ground Somewhere Unobvious??

Searched But No One Has Posted A Problem Like This.
Any Help Will Be Appreciated!

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
N
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
N
The ignition switch activates a "high current capacity" solenoid switch which is supposed to disengage when the ignition switch is released from the start position. The solenoid switch is what actually connects the battery to the starter. Sounds like your solenoid switch is hanging up and not releasing properly.

P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Ok Groovy!!! Where Is That Solenoid Switch Located?? What Would Typically Cause That To Act Goofy?? Bad Wiring, Old Age?? Is It Going To Be Located In The Column Or Under The Dash?

Last edited by Pale Horse; 01/03/06 10:55 PM.

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Look what I found on Google! It might help since it appears you were asleep during grammar school.

What are the rules for capitalization?

It also helps to specify the year of your vehicle.

Assuming a 98, the ignition switch energizes the starter relay located in the underhood fusebox. The relay switches the high current battery power to the starter motor. If the relay shorts, it will continue to provide power to the motor. Likewise, the ignition switch may be shorting and keeping the relay energized. A wiring harness fault is also possible.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Thanks For The Info. SHO.
Yeah, You're Not The First Person On This Board To Criticize My Typing/Grammar, But I Don't Mispell Words And My Punctuation, Nine Times Out Of Ten, Is Correct.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Would love to help but your typing sucks; and I'm a dick. Have a nice day.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Wow, some people on this board can be [censored]. Did you do a visual inspection of the starter?

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
You have a PM BMR...

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Or the starter drive is hung up on the shaft - either way the starter needs replaced.

P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
I Did A Visual Inspection Of The Starter And All Seems Fine. This Is A Relatively New Starter With Only About 5000 Miles On It As The Last One Did Start Hanging Up And Was Replaced. The Solenoid Switch Theory Posted Above Sounds Like The Ticket So Far. I'll Pull It And Inspect To See Whats Going On There And Replace It. Hopefully That'll Get Me Going Again. Thanks For Everyones Reply. As Always I Can Count On THis Site For Great Knowledge And My Daily Dose Of Flamage....

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard