Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Mike, I think you're missing my point. The freedom of speech we hold dear refers to constructive discourse regarding our government, without fear of retribution by the government. Its aim was certainly not to blanket your impulses to say what you want, where you want.
As it is a crime to yell "Fire!" in a crowded public place, any words or phrases said with intent to incite others, weather or not it is a deeply held conviction, should be treated the same.

2000 Silver Frost SVT # 1637/2150 D.O.B. 01/14/2000
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by TBoomer:
So then why are people like Rush Limbaugh cricified if they cleverly notice that Donovan McNabb is black? Isn't that freedom of speech, and he should get a free pass, right?

It's the same principle. Limbaugh can say whatever he wants. And those who disagree can call him a moron.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
How can you justify his losing his job for enacting his freedom of speech? Why was there no lawsuit that arose from that? Because it was deemed "inappropriate"(sp?).

V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
How can you justify his losing his job for enacting his freedom of speech?

Freedom of speech and professional restraint are two different things. If he lost his job over something someone overheard him say in a bar, it would be a different story. But in this case he took a chance by making what he knew would be an inflammatory comment.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
As did the idiot at Skynrd...thus the justified ass whuppin'!

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by MaddMike2:
So what your saying is I have the right to make a judgment call that because I disagree with what you say I have the right to kick your butt? Where do you get that from?

Holy dense person Batman. Nowhere did I say you have a right to beat anyone's ass. I was simply saying that Trapps should have beaten his ass for being an obnoxious [censored] when he needed least to be one, not because Trapps didn't think he had a right to be one. You seem to think Trapps wanted to beat his ass because he doesn't have a right to be a moron, I'm saying that's not why Trapps should have beat his ass.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Holy christ-almighty , this post went into the toilet in a hurry .

One thing I'll say about the incident is that the guy at the Skynyrd concert had bad timing (& bad taste) for bringing up his opinions when he did . I can't say that I agree with or particularly care for GWB , but I don't think I'd use a tribute at a Skynyrd concert to voice my opinions about him . I've seen Skynyrd a few times & they're just there to put on a kick-arse concert (and they DO ) , not to get all pro-Bush on everyone . They do the tribute at their concerts to keep their fans aware that they care about the young men/women that serve their country (& die for it) . Whether or not they agree it's a good idea for us to be in Iraq , they're still over there ... doing it !

I sure hope Mark didn't blast that guy . It'd be a shame for him to get into trouble over some jerk showing how ignorant he is and ruining a good concert .

Mark - remember next time something like that happens , just sing ...
"I feel pretty , oh so pretty ..."

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
There is a difference between being un patrioatic and not liking ole Dubbah.

99' SVT #811 of 2760 Born on january, 12, 1999. "This may have been his only shot at number one, but he just sucks on so many levels that I couldnā??t even let him win a contest of suckiness."
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
I love the band myself, sorry you had to hear that, funny how he would yell that out during a skynnard concert, classic rock and 90s grunge alternative are 2 different categories, oh well, bush rocks! specially Everything Zen, fav song....good luck!

Best mobile phone resource site, especially Sony Ericsson 1996 Buick Riviera Gutted airbox K&N Air filter Modded boost bypass valve
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
Mike, I think you're missing my point. The freedom of speech we hold dear refers to constructive discourse regarding our government, without fear of retribution by the government. Its aim was certainly not to blanket your impulses to say what you want, where you want.
As it is a crime to yell "Fire!" in a crowded public place, any words or phrases said with intent to incite others, weather or not it is a deeply held conviction, should be treated the same.

Thats why if you yell fire in a crowded place, you will feel retribution. If you yell "bush is gay" you wont feel nothin. sorry, but if you arent supposed to say it, there would be a law for it.

Best mobile phone resource site, especially Sony Ericsson 1996 Buick Riviera Gutted airbox K&N Air filter Modded boost bypass valve
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard