Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Ok, my tour, currently down with a bad water pump, alternator, battery, ect sensor, and possibly cats, has a massive water leak. Towels left folded in the trunk are SOAKING wet. Like they came from a washing machine's rinse cycle prior to spin dry.

I think its coming from the tail lamp housings. It seems to run right down the trunk floor and into the rear seat. The tire well is not wet. The car hasn't moved in a week, its just been sitting in very heavy rain.

Is there a common leak in the trunk? Could it be the spoiler? IS that a leak spot? Mine is a 98 se v6 atx.

Thanks for your help. I'm struggling not to let this car beat me.

Scott

Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Not to be ignorant and give you the typical SEARCH FIRST! routine, but, yeah... should have searched around first. This is a 'common' problem I guess you can say. There are several different places people have had leaks and several different remedies to fix them. I personally had the leaky trunk, where it ran down behind both taillights and down towards my seat. My taillights had a bad seal plus they had some debris under the plastic trim pieces you see when you lift the trunk that inhibited drainage. Once I cleaned that up, and let the seals try out PLUS all the carpet and rear seat dry out, I bolted them back up and haven't had a problem with it since. But like I said, could be comming from a number of places.

Just check out THIS THREAD , as I believe the third post down by AutoXfil or something similiar has many links to check out and read up on your problem. Goodluck!

98 Black Contour SVT #1273 Born the 23rd of June, 1997
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Heh. I deserved that. Getting so sick of the car didn't even look. Thanks, thats about what I expected. I'd actually gone to look at the spoiler mounts cause I've had problems with those over time.

When it quits raining I'll reseal the tail lamps and check the rear relfector.

You were right, great series of links in that thread you posted.

Scott

Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Welcome. I just disagree with the way some people handle repetative questions, but I wanted to hint towards that still though cause I'm still fairly new myself. I can understand though when people have been around for a few years, it would get annoying. Anyway, I know what you mean about getting agrivated. Saved up some cash, got me an SVT or at least one I can afford. Rough around the edges, but I'm workin on "smoothing" everything out so.. goodluck once again

98 Black Contour SVT #1273 Born the 23rd of June, 1997
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You could use a hose to find the leak when dry weather returns. I have found the trunklid taillights will leak, if you see corrosion on the license lamp metal contacts, driver's side, that may be the problem.

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I found one of the air equalizer gismos had been knocked out, breaking the seal on it and becoming a funnel.

And I'm going to pull up the deck lid seal and shift it to the right about 12 inches or so. I think the severe curves at the upper truck have worn those places on the seal.

I'll test it first with pieces of newspaper.

95 Contour, 2.0L, stick, 178K mi.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I added some thin (truck cap) foam tape along the top edge and around the license hole in the decklid.

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
I added some thin (truck cap) foam tape along the top edge and around the license hole in the decklid.

Thanks! That might be an easier way to fly.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You're welcome, and Happy 2006!

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Back at ya!