Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Let me start by saying that although I have loved both contours I have owned I simply cannot support a project car, and probably will not be able to for years. I am graduating college in may and will most probably be actively involved in building a company from the ground up. If anybody here has had experience with this 80 hours a week and little to no income for at least a few years is not uncommon.

Here is the problem: (this is an ADC tour for those who are not aware) This summer just 5 months after installing a new stage 3 and torsen I had the "shift tower mod" happen to me while sitting in my driveway. Basically a bolt snapped off the tower and dropped into my transmission. At this point I have no idea what it's condition is, but at 73,000 miles a freshening is probably not a bad idea for the tranny anyways. The motor has been very reliable, but is suffering from a slightly broken ring land on one cylinder. Unfortunately these both occurred over a very short period of time.

Here is my issue, to fix the car really is not very expensive, $1,000 MAXIMUM to build a new motor. All it needs is new pistons+bearings, gasgets, etc. With the t28 we have already found out the motor has very little problem handling 12psi (300whp). In addition, a new Terry tranny will cost roughly $1,000 give or take.

Since I cannot keep the car I am forced to sell it in the most effecient manner possible. Given the car would cost only $2000 to have a brand new motor and trans with 300whp and just about every other supporting mod you can do to the contour it is a damn good deal to anybody who would want to buy it as-is (I am willing to give A HELL OF A DEAL), but I already tried selling it and did not recieve a great deal of interest.

Option 1: Fix it now and sell

This would require a loan from my parents, so I would essentially be taking a risk in the hope that the car will sell at a reasonable price. This scares me to say the least given I am already a broke college student

Option 2: Fix it when I have more money and sell

Then problem with this scenario is the unexpected market for the contours. In say 3 years a 73,000 mile turbo contour with new motor and trans may be hugely desirable, or the market may have completely dried up.

I really wish somebody would just buy the damn thing.

So what do you think CEG?

98 3.0 svt: Sold
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Keep it and build it later. Or maybe someone could buy it fix it. You could sell the turbo kit and that would give you plenty to build a 3L and I could help you with that.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
how much are you selling it for? as is.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by svt4stv:
how much are you selling it for? as is.

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I know someone here would buy it for the right price and give it a good home,and by selling it now,even if for cheap,it's some cash in your pocket and it'll help you out for the time being.

Best of luck.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
People considering buying this car - here is another option.

You can takes Scotts car, rip out the sick 2.5L and drop in a 3L instead. All it will need it a bigger turbo, MAF and injectors. The GT28R it has now is too small for a 3L. (A la warmonger's 3L-Turbo)

Alternatively, like Scott said, you could drop in a healthy 2000+ 2.5L (the 2000's had the thicker ring land pistons which are stronger than the earlier pistons), with the current turbo setup, and call it a day.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
So many turbo tours have been up for sale recently, none where when I was in the market .

I have a feeling you will miss your tour once you sell it man, its too bad you cant keep it!

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If people didnt understand my post I will put it here plainly: In your opinion, what will happen to the market for svts

I will....It's a damn good looking car, and not only is it fun as hell to drive a complete sleeper, it also is a great car to drive dynamically. The steering is superb, brakes are wonderfully firm, and it handles like a go-kart. And how can I forget the mounatin of torque.

I'll stick to my rx-7 for fun during the next couple of years, and hopefully drive my jeep into the ground.

Oh and I sent you guys pm's, I don't want to turn this into a for sale thread. Although I am a bit disappointed nobody has lended me their opinion.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Look at it this way. With the mods and work done to the car,and the work it still needs,only an enthusiast will buy it,and obviously if someone knows of CEG,they know Contours,so you'll most liekly end up selling the car to a CEG member in the end.

Selling a modified car greatly reduces the target demographic from 'anyone and everyone' down to 'enthusiast or mechanic only'. IMO,the market will still be around for the next few years,because I see a lot of younger members in here from their teens to their early 20s,starting out with beat up Contours,with aspirations to have built SVTs one day. In those couple years,some of them may have the money by then to pick up an SVT. Whether you sell now or keep it,there will be a marketplace,but it'll be small one.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Good point, I didn't consider that

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard