Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Harrry Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
K here it is i left today from my house. i go to leave first gear and i hear a clunking about 4 clunks as i am releasing the clutch and as i intially am moving after i am moving it stops clunking. Then when i shift into second gear i hear a clunk clunk then it goes away for any other gear. So i notice it has happend for every start. I think it is a diff or motor mount? something in that nature comes to mind?? No shakiness or hesitation or slippage. What do u guys think.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
when I lost my diff, I noticed no noise at first. Aafter about ten miles, A loud Super charger type whiring sound, and it was toast. Dont know, but good luck.

99' SVT #811 of 2760 Born on january, 12, 1999. "This may have been his only shot at number one, but he just sucks on so many levels that I couldnā??t even let him win a contest of suckiness."
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I had what sounds like the same thing going on and it was the motor mounts. Jack it up and look at them.

98 Tropic Green Contour 2.5 MTX
H
Harrry Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
I checked out the mounts today and found nothing wrong with them. took it to the car was maybe some frozen ice or something, which wasn't but i havn't washed my car all winter so far.

It has gotton worse, it sounds like a snaping more than a clunking, like snap snap snap more and more. Maybe the axles are about to break in half!!

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
It could be, or a cv joint has failed.

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Get a pan and dump the tranny oil. A clean pan.

Assuming brass synchos there may be a very light tinge of brass in the bottom of the pan. If there's anything else take a look at your bank acct.

Otherwise shake the axles fore and aft. Might just be a joint. Might be the right side axle carrier bearing.

95 Contour, 2.0L, stick, 178K mi.
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Is the tranny resting on the subframe on the drivers side? It should be sitting an inch above it.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
H
Harrry Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
it isn't resting on the subframe.i thought that also, they had to adjust the position of the mounting they told me before when they put back my trans.

I am out of ideas. It does no make the noise when i am in neutral rolling front or back and me reving on it. This is where i assumed it was teh trans bouncing off the frame, so i did those tests!!.

I keep thinking the axles for some reason, maybe lose??

I am lost on this. i can't seem to trace the prob.

hmmm

H
Harrry Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Ok i have to admit i found what was wrong.

When i decided to take the car to the dealship i took off the my omp bar and my air intake. Just incase i don't void anything. Well taking off my omp bar i close teh hood and then leave. Guess what???

NO noise.

It was the omp bar lifting and the noise was coming from the 1 screw poping in and out. Man that thing was loud. I thought for sure it was my car about to explode, well i was hoping!!

Well i am going to buy a larger screw for one hole and fix the problem. What a scare!!

For for all the help guys!!!

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Thanks for the followup.

I've got to look into a bar of some sort myself.

95 Contour, 2.0L, stick, 178K mi.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard