Next Thread
Print Thread
T
thcab Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I have a 96 contour with the 2.0L zetec with a cd4e. I replaced the transmission with a used one 2 mths ago. Transmission worked great until it got colder out then started to make a noise. It is a clicking noise only when the car is not fully warmed up before driving, after the car is warmed up the noise disappears. Transmission seems to work fairly good minus the problem that if you throttle to much of the start it will not shift until you let it off a bit. The OD light is not flashing so I am figuring it can not be a major problem. Had it on a code reader and it came up a code 701. Has anyone had this problem and knows the cause of it.

K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
Someone else will hopefully pipe in and correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you could have a range sensor problem. Which on our cars is called (I think) the MLPS (manual lever position sensor). The reason I think this is because:

There is no code P0701 that I could find, however

A code P0707 (7 mistaken for 1?): Transmission Range Sensor circuit Low Input.

A code P1701 (forgot the 1 on front?): Reverse Engagement Error.

I believe that the MLPS also controls your backup lights...which might explain that code? No clue other than this except that maybe the tranny is having internal problems. Code P1710 is Transmission System Trouble. Check the codes again and list.

Keep in mind since I couldn't find the code you mentioned that I might just be full of [censored].

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I could'nt find P0701 either.

T
thcab Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
The code P0701 stands for Transmission Control System Range/Performance and would this make the noise in the tranny.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
MLPS=Range sensor.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard