Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
I just replaced the rear brake shoes on a 1997 Contour (4 cyl ATX with ABS). Before I replced the shoes, the parking brake would engage when I pulled the lever up about three clicks. Now the parking brake only engages when I pull the lever all the way to the top and it doesn't do much to prevent the car from moving. Anyone have suggestions or tips on how to adjust the brake so that it works better?

Taking apart and reassembling the rear shoe assembly was much more involved than I had anticipated. At the time I didn't have any brake grease. If I end up taking the drum back off, is there anything in there that needs lubricating?

Finally, I still need to bleed the brakes. I've read many of the previous posts on the topic and have a question, can it be done with the wheels on or do I have to jack the car up and take the wheels off? I'm thinking I can get to the front bleeders by turning the wheels, but not so sure about the rears.

Thanks

Last edited by sammy; 12/22/05 10:57 PM.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Step on the brake pedal, it should firm up, click a few times. Then the parking brake should be tighter. The silicone grease goes on the backing plate where the shoes rub (6 spots).

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If the brake shoes are properly adjusted, the park brake should be nearly as tight as before. It may be slightly less tight until the new shoes bed in. It sounds like they are not properly adjusted.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard