Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Those are some SERIOUSLY great snow tires. My pick for best overall. Are you running 14's or 15's? How good a deal did you get on them?
Thanks
E

95 LX/SE V6 5 Speed NUN 1 http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/588083 "The Contour SE is the best American car I have ever driven and one of the best cars period." Larry Griffin - C&D
C
chongo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by TwoTwinTours:
my ex's mom has Hakkepellitas on her Civic and she says they're crap,but she drives a Honda,what does she know?

She maybe right as there are at least 5 different Hakkapiliita tires out there.
Hakkapiliita WR - all season
Hakkapiliita Q - winter
Hakkapiliita 2 - studded winter
Hakkapiliita 4 - studded winter

Don't get the tire model "Hakkapiliita" confused with the manufacturer Nokian.
The HakkapiliitaRSI is there top of the line winter tire and new to us this year.
It took over for the hakkapilitta Q I believe.

Originally posted by bigerik:
Those are some SERIOUSLY great snow tires. My pick for best overall. Are you running 14's or 15's? How good a deal did you get on them?
Thanks
E

I got stock 14's for mine. I tried Steelcase, but they were way to busy to answer the phone,
so I went to MTC Tire.
They were $117 each installed + tax.
Quote I got for Blizzaks was $129 installed + tax

Rich got his 15's from Steelcase for $120 each + tax if I remember correctly.

I read a lot on tires before I bought them. One site I liked but it got out of date is http://www.snowtire.info/
2004 Snow Tire Review
they're currently running a 2006 snow tire test.
They're located in Rochester, NY.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Gee...little work for me summing up then

Jeff is right. The RSi's replaced the Q's last year. I know that Lou ran Q's on his SVT for the longest time and loved them.

For us in Southern Ontario, we really only have to choose between the RSI's and WR's. If you get a lot more snow and ice, go with the RSi's (R-speed rated though). If you have mainly slush and wet roads, go with the WR's (these are H-rated). I had the WR's last me for 90,000 km. The reason why I jumped to the RSi's is because I've noticed how much icier it's gotten on the highways now - probably because the plowing budgets aren't as cushy now.

I'm not sure what size Jeff ultimately got. Mine were 15-inch (195/60R15), based on -1 sizing standards for the Focus.

Nokians have really improved over the years. If anything, their winter tires are really meant for winter. So, any sidewall flex and gushy handling in the dry is made up by great traction in the snow and ice. I've also heard their summer tires are also awesome. It's just their summer tire pricing is a bit too steep for my budget.

Richard | Focused 24-7 2002 Focus ZTS...+275,000km and beyond! Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | SVTOA Redline Rendezvous
C
chongo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by GapBoyPCS:
I'm not sure what size Jeff ultimately got. Mine were 15-inch (195/60R15), based on -1 sizing standards for the Focus.

185/70/14 stock size

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by chongo:
Originally posted by SVTCANUK:
Hakkapelitta =

and cheaper than Bridgestone Blizzaks!!!

I'll have to remember that

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
C
chongo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Finally it's snowing!!!!
Gonna go take it out, burn up some roads & test out these tires.
What a great way to end the year with my wish for snow!

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I think it melted again. That crazy weather of ours.

95 Contour GL 2.5L ATX Minor mods
C
chongo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by ContourChris:
I think it melted again. That crazy weather of ours.

It melted but I had a blast on Saturday when it was coming down.
On fresh & packed snow covered streets, I could barely get the car to slide.
I did however manage to do it, but it was tough.

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
This is also a good way to practice for emergency situations. Glad you had fun as well.

95 Contour GL 2.5L ATX Minor mods
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard