Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
You've got the whole insulation/resistance thingy crossed up here.
Diameter is related to the resistance to voltage breakdown. THe thicker the insulation the less radio interference and spark bleed you get through the wire.

I once watched a cheap set of plug wires on a middle 1980's HEI ignition system in the dark while the engine ran.
They looked like a science fiction movie as the the bluish sparks bled out into the surrounding area around the wires and to each other in the loom. Bled is the best word I can describe it. It was amazing as the wires were cheap no-name brand but were brand new.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by mcfast:
That is not caused buy arcing, it is caused buy blowbuy from the cylder throu the spark plug.
sorry for the spelling

Through the plug?? It'd have to be broke for that. Maybe around it if it wasn't tightened, but then the wire would be colored like that too. More likely just some oil from the valve cover o-ring around the spark plug port that was down in the port and baked onto the plug.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by warmonger:
That is not caused buy arcing, it is caused buy blowbuy from the cylder throu the spark plug.
sorry for the spelling

Through the plug?? It'd have to be broke for that. Maybe around it if it wasn't tightened, but then the wire would be colored like that too. More likely just some oil from the valve cover o-ring around the spark plug port that was down in the port and baked onto the plug.

No I do not think so!!!!!

SVT 99 #526 of 2760
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Concerning the arcing I was refering to the visible line on the colored portions of the insulator. If you run your finger nail along the coloured rings it will catch on these areas. Is this not a sign of arcing?

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by SVTCANUK:
Concerning the arcing I was refering to the visible line on the colored portions of the insulator. If you run your finger nail along the coloured rings it will catch on these areas. Is this not a sign of arcing?

Yes, it is. The function of the ribs is to disturb a carbon track path, but there is probably a complete one inside the matching spark plug boot.

When the plugs are fresh, confirm that there are no such tracks inside the spark plug boots or replace the plug wires. Also confirm that the you don't have an oil leak into the spark plug well. Excessive oil into the spark plug well was one of the common problems with the Probe V6 engine that Ford corrected with the Duratec. Althogh rare, it still happens. It also helps to use some dielectric grease in this area to discourage carbon tracking as well.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by todras:
Almost all brands seem to fail IMO. The Ford Racing wires are only $45 so why not get something a little better than stock?

My experience is they suck. Had one arcing w/in a week of installation. Get either the Motorcraft or Magnecor wires.

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I can vouch for the Magnacores. At 115,000 miles this is my fourth set of wires. The originals, one factory set, one Ford racing set, and now the Magnacores. Originals showed signs of arcing around 30,000 miles each but I ran them around 45 thousand each. The Ford ones were arcing at 5,000 miles! I ran them longer not believing they could be that bad. Unreal how well it runs now with the Magnacores. No more stumbling, missing, or what I call the idle "glitch". The originals are almost as much as the Magnacores, ($125. V $135.) so why bother?

Jim

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
sorry for the spelling

No I do not think so!!!!!

That brown stain is normally caused by the porcelin leaching oil from the end exposed to the cylinder. Also as the porcelin heat cycles it can become minutely looser in the metal shell. This can increase the oil staining because of increasing or starting internal blowby.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Damn, two people who recommend Magnecores and have great luck with them. I may have to look into them now that a reputable person has spoke up....

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Damn, two people who recommend Magnecores and have great luck with them. I may have to look into them now that a reputable person has spoke up....

Not quite sure if thats sarcasm or not but, I've never considered myself reputable before. Reprehensible yes, but not reputable. But I do know the difference between my car running like snot and running great. Problem is sometimes it creeps up on you slowly and it goes unnoticed. My car was missfiring, hesitating and surging. It never threw a CEL the whole time. It runs great now. Good enough that I got nicked coming South on 441 this week. First one in two years.

Jim

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard