Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
Nate S Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
I've got a spec stage 2- when I let the clutch out there is a constant high pitched noise. It is sort of hard to notice unless you're sitting parked and you listen carefully...it goes away when the clutch is depressed. Otherwise the clutch drives excellently...

Is this normal on spec clutches?

Is this the "metallic whir" that I've read about in other posts or is this something different?

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I don't know if it's related or not. I also have the SPEC2 and when at idle with the clutch out I sometimes get a chattering. Push the pedal in and it stops, let out sometimes chatter sometimes silent. Car drive fine.

RVM Short Shifter RVM Intake Pipe Full Kenwood System NX Neons "If you can read this, thank a teacher; If you are reading this in english, thank a soldier"
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by CRSRFLS:
I don't know if it's related or not. I also have the SPEC2 and when at idle with the clutch out I sometimes get a chattering. Push the pedal in and it stops, let out sometimes chatter sometimes silent. Car drive fine.

Clutch chatter is normal with SPEC, unless you get a SPEC matching flywheel.

Not sure about the high pitched noise. Someone else should chime in soon.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
If it's a whir and not a chatter it may be the throw out bearing. Some of the TO bearings SPec has supplied with their kits have been prone to early failure.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Stazi:
Some of the TO bearings SPec has supplied with their kits have been prone to early failure.

Who would that be? Never heard of an issue here.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
N
Nate S Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
yeah it is definitely not a chatter, so it is a whir

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Nate S:
I've got a spec stage 2- when I let the clutch out there is a constant high pitched noise. It is sort of hard to notice unless you're sitting parked and you listen carefully...it goes away when the clutch is depressed. Otherwise the clutch drives excellently...

Is this normal on spec clutches?

Is this the "metallic whir" that I've read about in other posts or is this something different?

If it doesn't whine when the clutch is NOT depressed( foot off the pedal), then it is NOT the throwout bearing. It is most likely bearings on the input shaft I'd guess that have begun to make some noise. These bearings will make noise after they get some age on them and can be heard when you aren't turning anything else in the drivetrain, such as clutch out when the car is idling. The primary bearing on the input shaft takes all the various thrusts from the clutch disk whenever the car is shifted so it is likely to experience wear first.
Honestly, if the car runs good and the tranny shifts good, don't worry about it unless it starts getting really loud and noticeable while driving. Or, when you go to do some major work like a clutch, have the tranny gone through when you pull it out.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
N
Nate S Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Ok, thanks alot. Engine runs fine, tranny shifts fine but probably needs a fluid change which I'll be doing soon enough.

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by warmonger:

If it doesn't whine when the clutch is NOT depressed( foot off the pedal), then it is NOT the throwout bearing. It is most likely bearings on the input shaft I'd guess that have begun to make some noise. These bearings will make noise after they get some age on them and can be heard when you aren't turning anything else in the drivetrain, such as clutch out when the car is idling. The primary bearing on the input shaft takes all the various thrusts from the clutch disk whenever the car is shifted so it is likely to experience wear first.
Honestly, if the car runs good and the tranny shifts good, don't worry about it unless it starts getting really loud and noticeable while driving. Or, when you go to do some major work like a clutch, have the tranny gone through when you pull it out.

NO chance unless the trans is dry! It's very rare these bearings have much wear at all. Why does War keep trying to convince people he knows anything about the MTX75...what a crock! AND there is NO 'f ing end thrust on the input shaft bearings when the clutch is depressed...Its on the CRANK thrust bearings!!!!...the cluch disc is 'unloaded' and floats on the splines...ever see taper roller bearing on the input shaft of a RWD trans? No, because they use plain ball roller bearing because their is no end thrust when the clutch is depressed...go back to engineering school!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
where's Terry's Christmas spirit! :-)

Ryan Trollin!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard