Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Hey there, I have a 98.5 SE 2.5L MTX. When I bought the car used from the dealership, they gave me the 1 original key, and 2 new keys. The 2 new keys "worked" at the time because regardless if the key takes or not, when the car goes into "programming mode" immediately, any key with the right cut will start the car... next time, not so lucky. Anyway, to make a long story short, I only had 1 key from the dealership, the master. I remember years ago programming the other 2 keys using the 98.5+ PATS programming system, BUT nowhere do I remember reading that I needed 2 keys, and I KNOW for a fact I did it with only the 1 master key for the car.

Everywhere I am reading now says you have to have 2 keys, bla bla bla... but I can guarantee you that I programmed mine with only the 1 master key... and I made 2 perfectly good working keys, one of which I use daily. I am sure I am going to get a bunch of people dissagreeing with me, but I know I did this with only 1 working master key.

I am wondering if anyone knows where those instructions are. I can not find them anywhere. I remember specifficaly that there was "Method 1", and "Method 2". Does anyone remember this and/or know where I can find this article again? Thank you guys!

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The owners manual?

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
So i assume you can't possibly trick the car into thinking you have two working keys by using the one working Key twice...i only have one key at the moment for my 99.

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
No, that's the page I keep running into, and any posts or other info seems to be a duplicate of that one. Maybe it was using the 1 key twice... that kind of sounds familiar, but I'm not sure. The directions though, I specifficaly remember them, option 1 and option 2... based off of option 1 being early 98 models and earlier, and option 2 being late 98 and newer. I haven't checked the manual yet, I don't think it has anything on this, but you never know I guess. Thanx guys... anyone else?

W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Also, has anyone tried the whole 3 x 15minute thing yet? Can you actually re-program the EEC with a new key code as the master if it's cut to the cylinder correctly?

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
PATS TSB

This hard to read TSB shows the "Types A,B" of PATS, and how you add a spare key (I had a Type A system 98 Mystique built in March 97, only needed one programmed key) Scroll down 80% of document,spare key programming procedure. I think that document might reduce confusion, it helped me when I got my Mystique.

W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Okay, so the manual DOES have info on programming PATS keys... but if I remember correctly, this is the "pre-98.5" way of doing it. In my owners manual, this is what it says verbatim:

I'll lay the groundwork for this...
Position (1) is Off.
Position (2) is Aux (radio).
Position (3) is On.
Position (4) is Start.

"
Replacement keys or a maximum of 15 keys can be coded.

To program a key, cycle the ignition switch from (3) to (1) with a programmed key. Within five seconds of this cycle, insert a new PATS key into the ignition and turn to (3) or (4). If successful, the theft warning indicator will glow for two seconds, and the vehicle can be started. Repeat until all chosen keys have been programmed.

The control light illuminates to indicate a successful programming operation.

Repeat the procedure to program additional keys.

The system is maintenance free.

If keys become lost, you must have your dealer clear and reprogram the code for security reasons.
"

If I remember correctly, the dealer did this, and this is what didn't work and what almost got me stuck 30 miles away from home till I decided to try the old nasty original key, and it worked.

Anyway, I swear there is a different way that 98.5+ cars used to program PATS that didn't require 2 keys... it was like one additional step or something.

W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Thank you FavoriteMystaque, I appreciate the link. I checked it out and that is really good information. I'm thinking that maybe I do have a "Type A" system in my car since I did have only 1 key and made it work. Maybe what I am remembering then is that the dealership just simply did it wrong. Maybe I am way off base here, but that information that you sent me to seems to be extreemly official and for dealer instruction, so it has to be right. Anyway, the reason I am asking all of this is because I just bought a 98 SVT EEC off of ebay that I am going to attempt to use in my car since I can tune with that computer... not with mine. I hope to god that place (it seems to be a totaled car part-out type of place) will give me the key, I explained to them why I need it and they seem really cool, so hopefully they will do it otherwise I am going to either have to disable PATS in the calibration (which I am avoiding), or figure out a way to make one of my keys the new "master" for that EEC. I have no clue what month that car was made in, trying to get the VIN for the car too so I can determine that too. Thank you again!

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
it all depends on which system is used. the dealership told me i couldnt do it myself with 1 key, but i was able to.

'98.5 Black Ford Contour SE Sport 5-speed. All the SE Sport features with all the 98features that were supposed to be decontented for 98.5 '04 Silver Toyota RAV4 L Auto. Fully loaded.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard