Next Thread
Print Thread
B
bigerik Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Well, looks like after all of my adventures, the steering rack is bad. While I can get a decent price on a rack, the labour is going to be the killer. It is a LONG job. Drop the subframe and everything.
ANyone have any recommendations as to where to get it done on the cheap? What else should I do when I have it off?
Thanks
Erik

95 LX/SE V6 5 Speed NUN 1 http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/588083 "The Contour SE is the best American car I have ever driven and one of the best cars period." Larry Griffin - C&D
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Don't know if the 4 cyl is that much different, but mine was only 2.5 hours labour.

96 Teal Contour Zetec ATX 96K's
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Have you tried Ziggy's that I mentioned a little while back yet? That's my first choice if I have to have anything done. He seems to know Fords quite well and is good to talk to and explain what's wrong. And the price has always been good.

95 Contour GL 2.5L ATX Minor mods
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I paid $800 plus alignment at the dealer, and that included the rack. My usual guy wouldn't go near it.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
B
bigerik Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by ContourChris:
Have you tried Ziggy's that I mentioned a little while back yet? That's my first choice if I have to have anything done. He seems to know Fords quite well and is good to talk to and explain what's wrong. And the price has always been good.

Will give him a call tomorrow. The parts are coming from Sheridan in Mississauga, so it would not be too bad....
Thanks!
Erik

95 LX/SE V6 5 Speed NUN 1 http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/588083 "The Contour SE is the best American car I have ever driven and one of the best cars period." Larry Griffin - C&D
B
bigerik Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
I paid $800 plus alignment at the dealer, and that included the rack. My usual guy wouldn't go near it.

I don't know that I want someone learning on it to be honest. The dealer has it's plusses, but dropping a grand there when all is said and done isn't one of them.
E

P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
will one from a 98 fit?

ill have a spare on the parts car i just bought lol

98 contour gl, v6 auto 01 explorer sport v6 auto 2001gtp AT gmail DOT com
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by bigerik:

I don't know that I want someone learning on it to be honest. The dealer has it's plusses, but dropping a grand there when all is said and done isn't one of them.
E

As far as I know, the guy wasn't "learning" on it. Being a Ford dealer (and the car being a Ford), I would assume that they had some experience.

My usual guy charges $35/hour labour, and is an ex Nissan tech. He took one look at it and said "no dice, take it to the dealer." I have read on this site how others have paid way more than me for the same job, so I feel good about it. That said, not something that I care to repeat.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
B
bigerik Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by bigerik:

E

As far as I know, the guy wasn't "learning" on it. Being a Ford dealer (and the car being a Ford), I would assume that they had some experience.

My usual guy charges $35/hour labour, and is an ex Nissan tech. He took one look at it and said "no dice, take it to the dealer." I have read on this site how others have paid way more than me for the same job, so I feel good about it. That said, not something that I care to repeat.

Hi Phil
Got 2 things mixed up on that message. I was agreeing with you that it was good to take it to the dealership, as I would not want someone learning on it. I am sure the dealer would have some experience!
Thanks
Erik

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Ahh, I see.....

And I totally agree with you on the monetary side of things! I would rather be buying gifts right now.

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard