Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I've been thinking about a new car lately and this was one on my list to check out. It was black with the sport body kit and 18X8 silver wheels. The body kit looks really good and I think is worth the extra money. I didn't get to take the car down any real twisty roads plus it was allready dark out so I didn't want to get too crazy. I did get on it pretty hard when I hit the highway and straight line acceleration is pretty impressive. The increase in torque over the CSVT is immediately evident and there's virtually no turbo lag. The electronic suspension settings seemed like they actually did work which was pretty cool. Seats were comfortable and very supportive and the rest of the interior has a nice fit and finish. The only thing I wasn't too crazy about was the shifter as it seemed a bit sloppy compared to the tour. The clutch was completely different as well but that I could get used to. Overall I thought it was a great car and I would definitely consider it. However, the salesman and I ran some preliminary #'s and I didn't agree with his offer. If he comes back with a better deal, I might go for it.

Vinny 2000 T-RED CSVT MODS: 18" REV model 2 ST200 struts/Roush springs CTA intake Pipe/K&N Filter Dtec Heatshield Optimized TB True Duals w/ magnaflow mufflers/resonators
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Yeah, those are nice, but damn do you pay a premium for it! I've been looking at Volvo's myself recently and I'm getting sticker shock.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
IMO, the newer R's have much more diffentiating them from the standard cars.

While the repairs and maintainence aren't cheap, they are cheaper than many euro rivals.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
'05 S60R's should be selling at a large discount. I'm gonna say about $7K off MSRP.

Check EBAY for listings on new '05s that are sitting on dealers lots still. There is an Automatic trans one up for a good $10K off MSRP currently.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
The sport body kit does look very nice but the front air dam is extremely vulnerable to damage with driveways, etc.

If you like handling as your sig suggests, the 4C suspension system will drive you nuts. At the two softer settings, the chassis exhibits a sidestepping behaviour when going over bumps sometimes. Disable the 4C system by unplugging one of the accelerometers and the problem goes away. On the advanced setting there is little sidestep but the car becomes very bouncy. I've got springs and a swaybar on the way that reportedly resolve these issues. Unfortunately, lowering the car to improve the handling would make the body kit even more impractical.

The Pirelli P Zero Rossos that come with the car pretty much suck in the cold, are very vulnerable to potholes, and offer zero rim protection. They also tramline alot.

Enough of the bad. I love the interior of mine, the stereo sound quality, and the torque (when it's not warm/hot outside). The car definitely get looks too.

Oh. If you look at used, don't bother with the auto tranny for 2004/5 years as they are torque limited to 258 lb/ft in 1st and 2nd versus 295 lb/ft for the manual. The 2006s have an upgraded tranny and don't have the torque limitation.

Let me know if you want more input.

Last edited by ghodge; 12/06/05 03:09 AM.

George Hodge New: Volvo S60R Old:2000 SVT Silver Frost 1188/2150 DMD, 75mm Pro-M, HPP rear strut tower bar Aussie 24mm sway bar (with boxed in subframe) BAT European Handling Kit, Brullen Y-pipe Performance Ford spherical bearing end links
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by ghodge:
The sport body kit does look very nice but the front air dam is extremely vulnerable to damage with driveways, etc.

If you like handling as your sig suggests, the 4C suspension system will drive you nuts. At the two softer settings, the chassis exhibits a sidestepping behaviour when going over bumps sometimes. Disable the 4C system by unplugging one of the accelerometers and the problem goes away. On the advanced setting there is little sidestep but the car becomes very bouncy. I've got springs and a swaybar on the way that reportedly resolve these issues. Unfortunately, lowering the car to improve the handling would make the body kit even more impractical.

The Pirelli P Zero Rossos that come with the car pretty much suck in the cold, are very vulnerable to potholes, and offer zero rim protection. They also tramline alot.

Enough of the bad. I love the interior of mine, the stereo sound quality, and the torque (when it's not warm/hot outside). The car definitely get looks too.

Oh. If you look at used, don't bother with the auto tranny for 2004/5 years as they are torque limited to 258 lb/ft in 1st and 2nd versus 295 lb/ft for the manual. The 2006s have an upgraded tranny and don't have the torque limitation.

Let me know if you want more input.

Thanks for the insight, especially about the suspension settings. I'm looking to lease so mods would be out of the question. I would consider an 05 if I can find one left over with the options I want. In the meen time I'm considering other cars as well and I don't plan to purchase until next month so I have some time to think it over.

Vinny 2000 T-RED CSVT MODS: 18" REV model 2 ST200 struts/Roush springs CTA intake Pipe/K&N Filter Dtec Heatshield Optimized TB True Duals w/ magnaflow mufflers/resonators
T
Highly Medicated Member
Highly Medicated Member
T
Originally posted by ghodge:
SNIP I've got springs and a swaybar on the way that reportedly resolve these issues. SNIP

Which springs & swaybar? With less than 300 miles on the car, I don't have the same referrence you do for limits. My own short list would be Heico, ipd & Evolve.

Thanks,

Mark

PS: I love my Volvo

Semper Fi "They've got us surrounded. Poor bastards." -Chesty
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Hey Mark,

I got in on the ipd TME spring/ipd rear sway bar deal. The equipment should arrive 2nd week in January. The springs will only drop the car 5/8" but they are designed to work well with 4C. TME is holding the spring rate secret.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Volvo too but it's more of a love/hate relationship than the SVT Tour was. The inaccessibility of all the computerized systems annoys me. No matter where you you get the springs installed, you probably have to go back to the dealership to have the 4C computer recalibrated. I've got to take mine in Friday to get the climate control reprogrammed. It alternates between hot and cold air when calling for heat. I've got the TNN for it but can't do anything without a $1200 box to communicate with the car.

George Hodge New: Volvo S60R Old:2000 SVT Silver Frost 1188/2150 DMD, 75mm Pro-M, HPP rear strut tower bar Aussie 24mm sway bar (with boxed in subframe) BAT European Handling Kit, Brullen Y-pipe Performance Ford spherical bearing end links
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Look at the MazdaSpeed 6 if the Volvo is to much cash, Its AWD, 274 HP, zero Turbo Lag, Leather, heated seats, Xenons, Sunroof, etc.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I love the S60R's. If I could afford one, I probably would have picked one up. For now I drive an 01 S40 and I can't complain. Its a comfortable ride and good on gas.

2001 Volvo S40-Perrin MBC@ 11psi, EST intake, 35% tint, still slow

Link Copied to Clipboard