Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Tha factory-specified change inteval on my BMW is 15k miles, whick is 24k kilometers. I don't go that long, but the original owner did for the first 100k miles and the car runs like a top, uses no oil whatsoever, pulls hard and is generally in great condition. Personally I wouldn't go 3 years since the amount of moisture that can build up in the oil over that time is just too much; I'd go 1 year or 7500 miles whichever comes first. The oil life study done a while ago by some shop with an LS1 Camaro got to well over 15k miles before oil analysis said "change it" to the Mobil1 they tested but I'm still not that comfortable with that.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
O
ODC Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by Pigeon:
Tha factory-specified change inteval on my BMW is 15k miles, whick is 24k kilometers. I don't go that long, but the original owner did for the first 100k miles and the car runs like a top, uses no oil whatsoever, pulls hard and is generally in great condition. Personally I wouldn't go 3 years since the amount of moisture that can build up in the oil over that time is just too much; I'd go 1 year or 7500 miles whichever comes first. The oil life study done a while ago by some shop with an LS1 Camaro got to well over 15k miles before oil analysis said "change it" to the Mobil1 they tested but I'm still not that comfortable with that.

Scott

If you have the money for a BMW, Porsche, high end sports car, spend the $50 bucks or get your hands dirty and CHANGE THE OIL.

It's not a freaking Tercel !

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by ODC:
Originally posted by Pigeon:

Scott

If you have the money for a BMW, Porsche, high end sports car, spend the $50 bucks or get your hands dirty and CHANGE THE OIL.

BMWs' use Castrol sythetic oil. It's not $50 to change the oil in BMW it's more, and yes the interval is 24k or 1 year which ever comes first.

Aaron

AKA NVS SVT 98.5 Silver/Blue SVT#4553 Yeah it's modded 98 T-Red/Blue SVT Contour Totaled 06/05/06 03 3L,VCN 2000,CAT Cams,MSDS Headers w/Y-Pipe,XCal2 and lots more
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P

It might be $50 if you do it yourself, but the last time I got the oil changed in my Infiniti it was $150 or so.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T

It's a shame I've been banned from that message board (revscene.net) for blasting idiots like that. What f'ing dumb idiot doesn't change the oil OR filter in 3 years LMAO !

why even waste your breath?? just let them blow up their cars and sit back and laugh.

My boss had an M3 back in 99/00, and he once told me they changed the oil every 15-20k as well. I know he wouldn't let it go that long unless they told him to.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L

BMWs have a computer that calculates your oil service and inspection (minor and major service, respectively) intervals based your driving habits. Porsches may too, I don't know. It cuts down on unnecessary oil changes. Disregarding it and using a "one interval fits all" schedule is just throwing money away.

If you're using expensive synthetic and a good filter, there's nothing wrong with extended intervals; why throw away perfectly good oil. I had my oil analyzed with 5k intervals and they suggested extending it. I use mobil 1 synthetic and filter and now change it every 7.5k miles.

E0 SVT, lightly modded
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Pete D:

It might be $50 if you do it yourself, but the last time I got the oil changed in my Infiniti it was $150 or so.

It was almost $200 the last time I had it done at the Porsche dealership, but that was nothing compared to the $1100 I dropped last spring for the 30K service.

But the guy is right, the manual does recommend changing the oil every 2 years or 15K miles. The car gets driven hard, put away wet, and still runs like a champ..

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Porches sound like [censored], imo, they are the worst sounding High performance cars out there. And the drivers go right upn there with Vette owners on the scale of douche baggery

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Tourige:
Porches sound like [censored], imo, they are the worst sounding High performance cars out there. And the drivers go right upn there with Vette owners on the scale of douche baggery

It's all a matter of perspective.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
S
SAV Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Tourige:
Porches sound like [censored], imo, they are the worst sounding High performance cars out there.

Did your only ride in one happen to be an inebriated ride home?

-SAV

Troll. 1997 VW Jetta MkIII GLS 5spd All hail my appearance on CEG!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard