Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Hi

This is my first post to the forums although I have used them for some time and found very helpful information here. Thanks to everyone who contributes advice and experience.

I have a couple of questions:

First, I need to replace the rear brake shoes of my 1997 contour (with ABS) and I was wondering how to find out whether I have 8" or 9" drums. What exactly am I supposed to measure to figure it out - outer diameter of drum, inner diameter of drum, length of pad, etc? I have searched the archives and the faq and couldn't find the answer. I plan to use Mintek A/F shoes from BAT.

Second, do I need to do anything to the drums when I'm changing the shoes? Should I replace the drums, resurface them, or is it okay to do nothing. The outsides of my current drums are pretty rusty but the insides look pretty good with some minor circumferential grooving.

Third, The left rear brake is sticking. What I mean is that rearward of the two shoes is not being pressed outward when I move the shoes around by hand. How serious is this; is this something I can fix? Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
4 cylider 8"
6 cylinder 9"

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks!

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I was wondering the same thing about my 99 mystique LS V6, so I assume that mine are 9" as well.

99 Mystique LS T-Red ATX Duratec Mods: Hella stereo Mods K & N air filter w/intake pipe www.sounddomain.com/id/jongordo8
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Your wheel cylinder may need replacing, have someone gently press the brake pedal while you observe mechanism. Check parking brake cables, they can bind up. Get new ones from Ford dealer. Drums are OK to use if they were not making odd noises or cracked. You could probably paint them with caliper paint...I have 9 inch drums on my 1998 Mystique LS V6.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I painted mine with high temp black spraypaint. Best part is nothing needs to be masked off.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard