Next Thread
Print Thread
C
csl72 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Has anybody had problems related to installation of the bat handling kit?

I had the new kit (bat springs and struts + new lower control arms) installed about a month ago.

Good: Kit is great setup for street. Just as most people say, it really tones down roll, dive and particularly lift. Looks great and just gives the car a great stance. My SVT dropped from 3/4 of an inch in front and maybe 1/4 in rear.

Bad: I have noticed a popping in the front end when I turn the wheel to the right in the last couple of weeks. At first I couldn't isolate the cause, but it is tight low speed right turns, such as parking lot and pulling out of driveways.

I am not trying to run BAT down. The kit handles great and there are no drivability issues and I would recommend it to anyone interested in upgrading, but the popping is worrying me. There is nothing rubbing that I can tell from a quick visual inspection.

I am bringing the car back the shop that installed it for a checkup tomorrow. (FYI, that is one expensive trip to the shop, but I wanted the control arms done and I was not about to tear into that by myself at home, just seemed like a nightmare weekend).

Just wondering if anyones else has had this issue and what it turned out to be (or best guesses from those of you who may now)

I will post the shops answer. Hopefully, it will be a simple fix and they won't jack me around since it is aftermarket.

Craig- 99 SVT Contour Tropic Green/Prairie Tan K&N Drop in Air Filter "knauberized" doors 17" Konig Theories - silver 215/45/17 Pirelli PZero Nero M&S BAT Kit
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Until you get it to the shop, check the bolts on top of the strut tower to make sure they're nice & snug. You don't want one of those coming loose.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
C
csl72 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
good point, I will check those right now. Thanks

Craig- 99 SVT Contour Tropic Green/Prairie Tan K&N Drop in Air Filter "knauberized" doors 17" Konig Theories - silver 215/45/17 Pirelli PZero Nero M&S BAT Kit
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I had the exact same problem on my old BAT kit. Turned out something was rubbing, I can't remember exactly but I'm sure it was something about the spring guards installed as TSB/Recall at the same time. The tech eased the problem out with a BFH or something similar and everything ran just perfect afterwards

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
The popping when you turn the wheel far to the right, do you get a popping with the wheel slightly to the left?

Are your CV joints clean and not leaking anything?

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
C
csl72 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
CV's looked good last time I was all the way under there. Nothing leaking or torn on the boots. They did not mention them at the shop and I told them plainly to check everything out.

deForce- Good idea on the towers. The passenger strut tower nut appears to not be torqued all the way to 34 lbs as per my manual. It spins on the strut mount when I put the Tq wrench on it instead of holding. It appears tight enough to drive down to the shop in the morning (carefully!). As it is I don't have the tool needed to torque it down at the house. I will point this out to the shop.

update tomorrow

C
csl72 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
DeForce gets the prize.

Just got back from the shop and the loose tower nut appears to have been the problem. They snugged it up and no noise. I made sure to check it out pretty thoroughly in the parking lot and I can't duplicate the noise.

Very relieved that is was not CV or rotation bearing related.

Time to give it a firm drive on the way home for further testings sake only!

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by csl72:
DeForce gets the prize.

Just got back from the shop and the loose tower nut appears to have been the problem. They snugged it up and no noise. I made sure to check it out pretty thoroughly in the parking lot and I can't duplicate the noise.

I would also double check that the correct top nut was used on the upper spring mount, as if this is to tall it could cause the same problem, but if it went away with tightening the top nut then you should be good to go

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by BrApple:
Originally posted by csl72:
DeForce gets the prize.

I would also double check that the correct top nut was used on the upper spring mount, as if this is to tall it could cause the same problem, but if it went away with tightening the top nut then you should be good to go

I still havent fixed mine yet

haha Brian you prolly hate me cause of that!

C
csl72 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Man, that would drive me crazy. I had to get it straightened out asap. Mine is still quiet and working great. I need to get around to taking some pics with the new look since we don't get too many greenies posted. Should have done it before the weather went to ^%&^@!

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard