Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mystic Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Did a little search in the troubleshooting forum and found the culprit for an electrical problem I was having. I noticed that suddenly my rear defroster stopped working and my intermittent wipers weren't working, including the mist function. Problem started after a teacher friend of my wife's boosted the car after she had drained the battery leaving the lights on. The teacher friend didn't ground the negative to the dead car's chassis...used the battery instead. Naughty naughty.

I checked the fuses, replaced the relays, *then* checked this group. D'oh! I guess I know where I should've checked first!

Anyway, that little rascal on the bottom side of the fuse panel controls a wack of timing functions, some of which I didn't even notice weren't working properly until I searched the forum:

--------------------------------------
Central Timing Module Controls:
-------------------------------------
variable itermittent wipers
12 second delay for interior dome light
headlight on chime
seatbelt warning
rear window defroster
mist function with wipers
probably some other things....

Replaced the module and voila! Everything works great again.

/Eric

Last edited by Mystic; 11/26/05 06:40 PM.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada '96 Mystique GS, ATX
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Good fix, it will help others here, when they search.

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Awhile back I posted a test sequence to determine if the timer module was defective. Replace mine a few months back also and solved my intermittent problems.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Bob,

You don't know how many times I have referenced your test when helping out individuals with symptoms like those.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
You mean when you use those booster packs you're supposed to put the black on ground, not on the battery? GAH! EVEN MY STUPID BATTERY SAYS TO PUT IT ON BLACK!

(whoever wrote those instructions was an idiot)...

Do you just use that round metal thing sticking out by the corner of the engine?

1995 Mercury Mystique 2.0 (125hp of FURY!) 2006 Chrysler 300C 5.7
M
Mystic Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I ground to anything that's connected to the car's unibody (that's metal of course!). I usually connect to the radiator support...wiggle the booster cable's clip to make sure I'm gripping metal and not dirt and grease. Don't connect to the engine block (common mistake) since the ground strap might be faulty and the engine is usually isolated from the subframe by the engine mounts. I've boosted lots of people's cars in the winter months here in Ottawa. Safety comes first, as always. I make sure that when I'm cranking the dead car over that everyone's behind the hood, shielded against exploding batteries. Not a winter goes by around here without a tale of some hapless soul that hasn't properly hooked up a battery through negligence or because they're too proud to ask, and a battery explodes.

BBQs in the summer. Batteries in the winter.

/Eric

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada '96 Mystique GS, ATX
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
You got a part number for the central timing module?

Seems my intermittent wipers aren't working, defroster does jack, and the damned interior lights won't turn off once I start the car.

My friendly neighborhood parts department tried to sell me a GEM instead and wanted just over $300. Those are some expensive damn delayed wipers.

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Originally posted by feeling better Ray:
Bob,

You don't know how many times I have referenced your test when helping out individuals with symptoms like those.

Hi Ray,

Glad it came in handy. These kind of problems can drive one nuts when trying to locate........

I don't have the part number on the central timer unit, but I purchased mine from Bill Jenkins....I recommend you all that need a replacement to purchase from him. They have very low RPS freight rates. Great Guy, Great Prices, Great Knowledge (ever try to order a vacuum line from just any ole dealer? Sheesh! Give Bill a call.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
Actually he is a pretty cool guy from his e-mail. He informed me that I could save like $50 ordering a cupholder from a Mercury instead. Awesome guy but I have to spam him. (Need a lot of little parts to get the car tip-top)

Btw, so far I've managed to diagnose my

Range sensor (MLPS) problem.
Temperature Sending unit (no temp guage)
and now the Central Timing Module.

thanks to this forum.

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys and gals. Getting pretty attached to the little Contour.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard