Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I would have to say that the Ford Pinto was worse.
Vega

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I think its neck and neck!

LOL

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
what about the cavalier?

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
No props for the Chevette?

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Too bad the two morons at the end had to turn it into a political soapbox.

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I owned both a Vega and a Pinto as a young man. The Pinto was purely awful. Enough said. The Vega handled well but that damn aluminum block 4 cylinder burned oil like crazy.

Two weekends, a hooker headers conversion kit, chevy 327 V8 and a turbo 400 automatic transmission made that Vega shine! Unbelievable change of character! The only problem was finding replacement spider gears for the stock rear axle...

V8 Vegas still have a cult following of sorts.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
My brother had owned both a pinto & vega when he was in college. The vega blew up, he got motor from the dealer, it blew up again. He was forever having problems with it, including electrical & RUST.

He got the pinto after just 'cause it was cheap as dirt. I recall he paid $300. It lasted him 2-1/2 years. Awful, yes, but it did the job.

I also knew an a-hole in HS that came back from getting a dis-honorable discharge from the army. He rolled into town in a V-8 pinto - Royal Blue. I never rode in it, but those little cars with V-8s would really MOVE. First time I saw it, I thought, "what a d***. Put nice paint & wide tires on a pinto. Then it took off....

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
No one mentioned a Maverick or Fairmont? The 4 cyl/auto Citation fell apart around you has you drove it, like that mopar Omni/Horizon, which set out to be a domestic "lowest cost of production" champ, and it proudly (?) reflected that. The early Chevy IIs with the two speed automatic were worse than the Vega in that regard and in handling.

There are lots of contenders between crappy by design, horrible build quality, and that bonanza of both at once.

V8 Vegas? What's not to like about that power to weight and adaptability of old Detroit powertrains? Did anyone try a 9" Ford rear end with those?

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by PackRat:
Too bad the two morons at the end had to turn it into a political soapbox.

lmao!!! oh the irony.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I'm getting in on this thread pretty late but I'd have to vote the Vega worse than the Pinto. I worked for Ford when the Pinto came out. You could get a 1600CC motor (English) or 2000CC (German) one. The 1600 could really purr and even though it was a pushrod motor, it always felt smoother than the overhead cam 2000CC. Either way, I think they were both better than the Vega's bothersome engine. In 1974 you could get the 2800CC V6 that went into the Mustang II which made it alot more sporty although you could only get an auto trans with that motor. As far as V8 transplants, there were more than a few small block Pintos running around. If looks is important, today maybe it's a draw but at the time, I thought the Pinto was better looking.

By the way, "of all time" goes back quite a ways - like over 100 years. There were probably cars we never heard of that were worse than the Vega.
Karl

*** It's all about consistency! *** *** Previously 88SVT *** 06 F150 Supercrew 5.4L FX4 98 SVT Contour #4362 Born 1/6/1998 86 Ranger GT (For Sale) 69 Fiat 850 Sport Spider (For Sale) 67 Formula-S Barracuda
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard