Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
My car makes a very low grinding noise when the car is in gear and I am turning. Initally I thought it was tire rub, but I noticed if I throught the car into neutral, it goes away. It seems to only happen on big bends in the road, or backing out of my driveway. Anyone have any ideas?

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Is the sound coming from the engine of the struts. Its sounds like it may be a suspension problem. It could be the top hats on your front suspension.

Last edited by jtour; 11/23/05 06:53 PM.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
It sounds like its coming from the front tires, but like I say when I throw it in neutral, and coast through the turn, the noise disappears.

D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
It makes a simillar noise when I go over a dip in the road, which I attribute to the front spring cover recall.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by davesvt98:
It sounds like its coming from the front tires, but like I say when I throw it in neutral, and coast through the turn, the noise disappears.

Try this, turn the car on and while its parked have someone turn the wheels left to right. To see if you can hear anything as you stand outside. If it pops or makes a sound it is your suspension. Let me know what happens.

Oh are you on stock suspension or aftermarket?

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Its the original stock suspension. I'm gonna run outside and do that little test. Thanx for the help

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Sweet let me know thanks.

D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Nope, it just makes the normal power steering sound. The right side wheel well is a little loose and could be rubbing against the tire. The part that troubles me is the fact that this noise only happens in gear.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Hmmmmmmmmmmm so it makes noise when your in gear. So maybe it makes the noise cause there is stress on the suspension. Let me search a little and I will try to get back to you.

D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Yah, when i'm in gear and turning (going around bends). No noise when i'm going straight. Could it be that the car is pushed down a little when i'm in gear and the tire is rubbing that loose wheelwell? I'm gonna go outside and try and fix it up, see what happens. Let me know if you come up with anything, i've been searching the archives but haven't come across anything similar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard