Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Hey...I was thinking about getting into the sport but I know absolutely nothing about it. I was thinking of picking up a board for a couple hundred bucks and the bindings and boots as well, and trying it out this winter. Probably get a few lessons as well so my ass doesn't freeze. Anyone else into it? Any hints on where to start?

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
id suggest start running now becuase it works the back of ur legs alot

2000 contour V6 ATX BAT suspension kit, k&n filter, SVT TB, SVT UIM, SVT LIM, MSDS headers, MSDS Y-pipe, SVT dual exhaust, Custum burned ADC chip, 7000k HID's, 200 amp HO alt, custom gauges, and 17" rims
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Running will help, but it's really not necessary to enjoy snowboarding. I'd start by just renting a binding/board/boot setup and getting some lessons. That's the best way to learn, as you're not just fumbling over yourself trying to figure out how to ride or how your friends tell you to ride, as a pose to an instructor telling you in 5 minutes and you having the right form. Most mountains will have a lesson/board rental deal so you can hit it all in one discounted price.

Once you get the basics out of the way, you'll start learning what type of snowboarding you enjoy the most. Some enjoy carving side to side in a nice, leisurely fashion. Some like to fly down the mountain. Some like get into the backcountry and trees. Some like to hit jumps and try out tricks. Most like all of the above, with an emphasis on one area. That distinction will help you to pick a board that you're going to enjoy. Then go to a good shop or find a knowledgeable friend to help you pick the size/style of board,bindings and boots you want. You don't have to buy the perfect setup, but know what you're looking for. Then (if you're on a budget) wait for some great sales to come along and hit them up to find your setup for a fair price. Most good sales are early season (few weeks ago) or late season (march/aprilish). I'd suggest renting for the remainder of the season, then buying your board at the end of the season when you know what you want.

After that, go hit it!

I've got a GNU concepts board with Burton bindings and Cold Creek boots. I'd say that unless you are a hardcore snowboarder, you can skimp slightly on the board quality, but don't skimp on the bindings/boot combo. They alone will make the difference if you enjoy snowboarding or not, because they control the angle/position/comfort of your feet and legs. Trust me, I speak from experience when I say snowboarding can be miserable without just the right bindings/boots.

Most of this is just trial and error stuff, so most importantly just get out there and get on a board and you'll start learning way quicker than I could explain to you. Good Luck!

EDIT: And expect to spend at least $350 on your board,bindings, and boots. You might be able to find a better deal if you look for used gear, but it's up to you. And don't forget you will need good snowpants, jacket, layering insulation, goggles, gloves, and good socks. In my case, I do backcountry in and out of the trees, rocks, and odd mountain angles so hitting some of those objects/falling is inevitable. Herego, I also wear a helmet. All in all, I've probably got a good $700 worth of gear and I'm set. On the other side of things, I am in the Rockies where cold gear is a must. I've heard that in other places(Cali and East Coast) you can occasionally get by without all the cold gear.

Last edited by PlatoSVT; 11/20/05 05:56 PM.

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Awesome reply Plato....sounds like great advice. thanks!

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
if you want to save money id either buy the board RIGHT now, or at the end of the season, you can get some ridiculous deals then. when you first start out snowboarding you wont be able to carve anyways so i wouldnt worry too much about running or being in shape, but more about practicing your technique...it was very frustrating at first for me, until i could carve down the mountain. the key thing is just to keep at it- keep going and going (get a season pass or something and go once a week, 2x a week) and soon enough youll be having fun!

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Some really good advice in this thread, awsome guys. I have also been thinking about getting into snowboarding since I am in the right area.

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
http://www.snowandrock.com/ There is my hint to you and anyone else who ski's or snowboards. Its over in europe so everything is listed in pounds. but do the math and you'll find that the prices are pretty damn good! The key here is you can get alot of the stuff that is unavailable in the US or is sold out. I ordered some Atomic 10.EX's a couple years ago from them and the price was amazing!! There were only a few hundred pairs shipped to the US which were all sold out, There was one pair left in canada, not my size and they wanted $70 import tax (screw that) so a buddy of mine on the ski team told me about this place, so I bought them. $325 for a pair of skis that was going for $550 in the states and Canada. And shipping took 4 days and wasn't any more expensive than shipping coast to coast, from Europe!! check em out!

2000 SVT Black/Tan #1633/2150 (a few mods) Alpine: CDA-9835, MRV-F540, MRD-M550 PG: TANTRUM-X 6.5 COMP all around. Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas. CEL currently: Off
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by Nate S:
if you want to save money id either buy the board RIGHT now, or at the end of the season, you can get some ridiculous deals then. when you first start out snowboarding you wont be able to carve anyways so i wouldnt worry too much about running or being in shape, but more about practicing your technique...it was very frustrating at first for me, until i could carve down the mountain. the key thing is just to keep at it- keep going and going (get a season pass or something and go once a week, 2x a week) and soon enough youll be having fun!

Plato couldn't have said it better. . .one thing I don't buy a board right now because you are only gonna find all the new models out, wait until after the season and hit up ebay. I got a killer deal on my Ride Decade. Yeah def. rent your first year and try to rent from different places or different boards because different board ride different. I went from Nitro to Ride and there is a huge flex difference. You definantly don't want to skimp on the boots. . .and don't fall for that gimick of getting them molded to your feet cause that will happen naturally.

Lastly if you want to get in shape start doing plyos. . .some running is involded but plyos will help you the most. I see our Ski team doing plyos everyday in the weight room, I guess it helps cause they won nationals two years ago.

Austin -officially a troll See it here Pro-Flow w/ optimizer STILL for sale
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
i just have to say, i cant wait to get to the mountains to snowboard this year. i didnt get to go last year and i was so pissed. so i am deffinatly going this year. i plan to go several times. peace to all the boarders.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I'm going up Friday... WEEE!!! Rather looking forward to it. I might also go up late Christmas break for a few days, but other than that I don't think I'll get to go up this season. And this coming from a 1-2x a week'er at Copper and Winterpark last season, needless to say, it's been rough...

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard