Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
It will be spending most, if not all of the Winter in the garage. I just filled the tank, and it just had a good wash. Need I do more? I am not going to go as far as a car cover, just wonder if there are other steps I should take.

Side note, the garage is attached to the house, but has no furnace vents. It also has no windows though and only 1 garage door and 1 door to the house.

Thanks in advance!

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150 For Sale195/55/15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on Steelies <10k miles - $300 PM me for more info
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I've heard of this mechanism that will warm up your wiper fluid that will enable it to defrost your windshield! Haven't found it though. I'd simply use alcohol. The normal rubbing Isopropyl stuff from the store. That's what we used to use on planes. We use glycol now.

Anyhoo (people not too fond of av-knowledge), that, and keep your chains handy.

I'm in Florida, though. I won't be much help, but I did have some winter driving experience in California. Really pretty.

Is there anyone who can help? Preferrably someone from up north?

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by gilroynewball:
I've heard of this mechanism that will warm up your wiper fluid that will enable it to defrost your windshield! Haven't found it though. I'd simply use alcohol. The normal rubbing Isopropyl stuff from the store. That's what we used to use on planes. We use glycol now.

Anyhoo (people not too fond of av-knowledge), that, and keep your chains handy.

I'm in Florida, though. I won't be much help, but I did have some winter driving experience in California. Really pretty.

Is there anyone who can help? Preferrably someone from up north?

I think he means what to do for storage all winter

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
well i think hes just storing it for the winter in the garage...right? correct me if im wrong, but thats a neat point about the alcohol!

well if your not going to be driving it al all over the winter...id put some fuel stabilzer in the tank, and a box of baking soda inside the cabin...to absorb any moisture.

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G

Last edited by guitarman19853; 11/20/05 04:26 AM.

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Thanks, this is the first winter I won't be driving it everyday, so this is all new to me.

I would not have thought to search ( I know, with my experience here) especially in the Engine section.

1 question, for anybody like Big Jim, why change the oil before, and not after? I am about 200 miles off of an oil change anyway, but just curious.

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150 For Sale195/55/15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on Steelies <10k miles - $300 PM me for more info
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I would assume it would have to do with its grade. For example, 20W-50. It will become SAE 20 in cold temps. You may need to get a different oil for driving in such conditions.

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Eric L:
...1 question, for anybody like Big Jim, why change the oil before, and not after? ..

The "dirty" oil is corrosive (?) sitting in the engine all winter.

http://www.ehow.com/how_14375_prepare-car-long.html

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Ok, I can see that now.

Looks like I need some Sta-bil and some baking soda once it is finally time. I think I'll just over-inflate the tires and ride it out. I guess I could put my stock 16s back on, the KDWs are shot anyway.

There is still alot of different recomendations for battery care. I have an Optima (don't know if that matters). I guess at least I should disconnect it. Is there that much advantage to moving it inside? Or I could just put it in the Ranger since that still has the original battery from 1999. If I do unplug it, and leave it in the SVT, would I still need to trickle charge it come Spring?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Eric L:
... If I do unplug it, and leave it in the SVT, would I still need to trickle charge it come Spring?

Yes.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard