Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1439402 11/18/05 06:35 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Since we seem to have a semi-diverse age range here on ol' CEG, what's everyone's opinions on online colleges? Who's attending them? Where? Major? etc.

I'm attending American Military Univeristy (AMU) for a B.A. in Intelligence Studies with a concentration in Law Enforcement. I'm only in my general ed classes now, but so far the classes seem 'easy'.

Ryan Trollin!
#1439403 11/18/05 06:47 PM
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
My school is kinda odd. I'm attending Everglades University, and I'm majoring in aviation technology. But, how is it a university if there's only a few students in a small campus that fits easily into one portion of the first floor of a round building in a corporate park?

It's primarily an online school. We have students as far as England studying with us.

My opinion. Schools are great for their purpose, as well as how they are built. Sure, you can't compare University of Phoenix (or EU for that matter) to Harvard. But, in their separate scopes, they are in the top of their game.

BTW, I drive to the campus. It's not far from me anyhoo.

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
#1439404 11/18/05 06:49 PM
X
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
X
Before starting college (3 years ago) I looked into online colleges. My only advice, only goto an online college that has a regionally accredited B&M school to back it up. Everything else is very risky.

'98 Ford Contour Mods: Audio: JVC kdlx-100 4 Pioneers 2-180 and 2- 200 watt speakers Meguiars Car wax http://www.secnut.com
#1439405 11/18/05 06:51 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Online Colleges are not seen as creditable in the business community. Not interacting with your peers, lack of group work, these help build well rounded individuals. Also, it is viewed as the coursework is much, much easier than a normal Univeristy.

Professors are not seen as highly creditable either.

Big thumbs down for me

Also, in competition for a position, who would you hire provided you have just a stack of resumes. I swear HR departments shun thos who did not go to a B&M school!

And why I think my opinion counts?
I've been tasked with recruiting and interviewing more than 15 people this year. I have personally gave 4-offers of employment so far. No way would your resume have been taken seriously at my firm.

Our pre-screening questionnaire includes such questions as:
What was your favorite team assignement?
How did you resolve conflict with your team projets?
and
Which was the last movie & sporting event you saw?

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
#1439406 11/18/05 06:53 PM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Fmr12B:
Online Colleges are not seen as creditable in the business community. Not interacting with your peers, lack of group work, these help build well rounded individuals. Also, it is viewed as the coursework is much, much easier than a normal Univeristy.

Big thumbs down for me

I agree, unfortunately.

2005 Subaru Legacy | Ban Them Forever
#1439407 11/18/05 06:54 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R

Big thumbs down for me

What are 'real' professors typical credientals? From what I've seen in mine so far, they seem to have, what I would think, equal creditenials.

thanks for the coursework tidbit, I wondered about that...

Ryan Trollin!
#1439408 11/18/05 07:03 PM
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Big thumbs down for me

What are 'real' professors typical credientals? From what I've seen in mine so far, they seem to have, what I would think, equal creditenials.

In my opinion typical credientals for a Universtiy Professor would be 1)have a doctrate, 2)Have extensive knowledge of a field within a field (A history professor who has extensive knowledge in Early Civilization, far more knowledge than a middle school or high school teacher), and 3) be able to take a topic and introduce new ideas and ways of thinking to students. Just my opinion though.

Kip 98 CSVT Black/Midnight Blue
#1439409 11/18/05 07:09 PM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
UMUC - CMIS

I have been going there for a few years now. I like that I can do my classes on my own time because with my schedule I would not be able to do evening classes like a lot of colleges have for "working professionals" I think I have about 20 credits left before I can graduate so I will let you know in a few years when I finish up how it goes.

We do have team projects in my classes but interaction between classmates does suffer a bit in online work.

I have had some good professors and some bad both online and in person. It seems like online some of the professors are very good and you get a lot out of your class and other times you can get some very bad ones that leave the class for a month and then come back like nothing happened. You of course get the professors in the middle also but it seems like the top and bottom are more extreme or you notice it more online.

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
#1439410 11/18/05 07:44 PM
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Big thumbs down for me

The instructors I have had so far are retired airline captains, corporate pilots, and aeronautical engineers. As well as retired miliraty OFFICERS (not enlisted). They all have at least two degrees from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (in the aviation world, it's equivalent to Harvard by many).

But, I will agree with you somewhat with post-graduate studies. Why do I say somewhat? My dad is also a college professor, and does some of his work for online students at AIU. And in the areas that I do agree with you is that the graduate program at my school is pretty limited. I plan to move to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for that.

I'm more than satisfied with my studies. It's all that I have asked for and then some!

So far, all the aviation graduates have gone into work within their field as pilots or in management position. A friend of mine will graduate soon, same degree as mine. He's ex-Air Force, and plans to go with an aerospace defense contractor soon. With his experience, and his degrees, he'll find a job easy.

Not only does it depend on the eye of the beholder, but it also involves what the prospective student is looking for. I'm looking for time flexibility, excellent classes, and knowledgeable professors with REAL WORLD knowledge, not just what's within campus walls.

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
#1439411 11/18/05 07:44 PM
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N

Big thumbs down for me

I've read a few articles that say different. Im not saying you are wrong, I assume there are employers who do not see an online degree as creditable. However an online degree from a more respected online school has some weight. A few fortune 500 companies chimed in to say that they recognize and accept online graduates.

Best mobile phone resource site, especially Sony Ericsson 1996 Buick Riviera Gutted airbox K&N Air filter Modded boost bypass valve
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard