Print Thread
#1438031 11/17/05 06:16 AM
B
BCSVT Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Just to let you all know that didn't know, all Autolite parts should be the exact same as Ford Motorcraft parts. Ford bought Autolite in 1961. Autolite was an independent replacement part manufacturer for Ford back in the day and Ford eventually bought them. This is the story so everything Autolite should be the exact same as everything Motorcraft. This is my understanding at least.

David

The greatest stealth car ever... CSVT 1998 2.5L V6 MTX KKM intake with BAT pipe Magnaflow resonator other Audio enhancements
#1438032 11/17/05 06:33 AM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
My understanding is that Autolite is a contract manufacturer of Motorcraft plugs and Honeywell is the parent company. I also remember seeing Allied Signal on the packaging a few years ago.

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
#1438033 11/17/05 10:11 AM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
At one time, the term "Autolite" was applied to many Ford parts (from the early '60s to early in the 1972 model year). The Autolite name was used on such items as batteries, oil filters, air filters, carburetors, radiator and heater hoses, gas caps, etc. Due to an antitrust court case, see here , Ford sold Autolite to Bendix. After that, Ford used the name "Motorcraft" on its replacement parts. Today, Motorcraft sparkplugs may be the same as Autolite ones, but the Autolite oil filters that are now being sold (I've seen them at Wal-Mart) look to be relabled Fram filters.

Martin My Profile 2000 Contour SE V6 ATX 170K miles Hecho en Mexico Steel blue w/greystone interior 1997 Volvo 850 Wagon 146K
#1438034 11/17/05 07:30 PM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Yup, almost the same thing as Generic products. Same thing but labeled different, and cheaper too. It's called marketing, you see these generic food products and some of them (most probably) are made by big corporations, that sell them to the other companies to put their name on it, so they make money either way. Can't remember what the term is called for this but I learned something like this in my Economics class back in High School. See I learned something in school.

Jason G. 1997 Mercury Mystique GS ZETEC ATX Born: 11/96
#1438035 11/17/05 07:45 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Mystique97:
Yup, almost the same thing as Generic products. Same thing but labeled different, and cheaper too. It's called marketing, you see these generic food products and some of them (most probably) are made by big corporations, that sell them to the other companies to put their name on it, so they make money either way. Can't remember what the term is called for this but I learned something like this in my Economics class back in High School. See I learned something in school.

LOL. I remember seeing a TV program a few years ago on the Centrum vitamin pills and a generic brand bottled in the same plant. Difference was a few dollars. And the executive being interviewed refused to say it was anything different other than the brand name costs more.
"So what is the difference between the two bottles?"
"It is a difference brand"
"So why does it cost more?"
"It is a different brand"
"So there is no difference with the pills in the two containers?"
"Yes, there is, it is a differenct brand".

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard