Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
I have been doing some reading on CAIs. I understand that the popular mod here is to isolate a conical K&N with a heat-shield. I further understand that there is some debate as to whether a metal or plastic shield is superior.

My question is whether anyone has discovered a way to pipe cold air, fed by car movement, into the general vicinity of the K&N without relocating the battery or fuse box.

I have removed the snorkel and done some â??exploratory surgeryâ? in the fender well space vacated by the snorkel but do not see how a shop vac hose or other piping material could be routed here to the front of the vehicle without some fairly major modification.

I do not want to lengthen the intake pipe to relocate the filter, nor do I want to seal the filter and have it suck air from the fender well (as that would be similar to stock). What I would like to do is have some piping with an opening at the front of the car directing air into the engine bay in the vicinity of the filter which would be forced into the engine bay when the car is moving. i.e. a pseudo â??ram-airâ? intake without any pressurization.

If any one can assist me I would be grateful.

Thanks.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
So just add a tube and route it from say...the lower grlle area up to where the filter is...

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Been done. Read what he said/\

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
How? I can't seem to locate any space to do that. It can be done if I drop the piping below the radiator and front air dam but that causes all kinds of grounding out problems...

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by honduhkillR:

I have removed the snorkel and done some â??exploratory surgeryâ? in the fender well space vacated by the snorkel but do not see how a shop vac hose or other piping material could be routed here to the front of the vehicle without some fairly major modification.

Thanks.

Someone has done this many years ago. It was old news when I first joined here over 5 years ago. They took a Shop vac hose and routed it from the small oval hole on the bumper of a pre-98 and ran it all the way to the air filter. I am not sure what modifacations were needed but I know someone had done it. Someone might have the how-to somewhere but I would hold my breathe.

Originally posted by Davo:
Good work, Dave. You're definitely the #1 interior guy around these parts; always innovating.

Redline Goods ShifterBoots:5% Discount
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
No mods really, i had it done on the Zetec.....Stop laughing!!!

I put some of the shop vac hose from the filter to the fog light hole. It fit in the hole on the inside of the fender where your intake draws it's cold air from anyway.

But I read that you would have to be going at least 50mph to get it to see any sort of gain, and even then wasnt enough to write home about...

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Here is what I could find. Had to go dig in the archives under shop vac hose. Although all the links in the threads are now dead.

Forum Archives Page

Originally posted by Davo:
Good work, Dave. You're definitely the #1 interior guy around these parts; always innovating.

Redline Goods ShifterBoots:5% Discount
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
i did it on my SE with some old Vacum tubing but the tube made the hood sit crooked because there was simply no way of running to the intake.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
i did it...ran it to the fog light hole...dont do it. waste of time and no gain

98 CSVT t-red 1737# cf1 Cowl hood Centerline Storms CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15 WTB- Vortech S/C kit/ADC Turbo Kit
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
take out the stock snorkle and you will get all the cold air u need.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard