Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
DirecTV or Dish Network, I don't care at this point. I am just getting tired of my cable provider's lack of technology. No DVR, no HD, ancient digital boxes, high prices.

No one can give me a definite answer on whether or not I absolutely have to have a land line to run either companies dish.

I want a DVR I don't have to pay $13 a month for! That is how much my cable provider wants for a Tivo, and they say I can run it off of my Wireless router?

Anybody?

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150 For Sale195/55/15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on Steelies <10k miles - $300 PM me for more info
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
My friend only needs her land line to order pay per view movies. Other than that, she has the box disconnected from her phone line, and it works fine.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Quote:

I want a DVR I don't have to pay $13 a month for! That is how much my cable provider wants for a Tivo, and they say I can run it off of my Wireless router?

In regards to this question -- Yes, you can run a TiVo off wireless. However, you still need a land-line to sign-on the very first time you start it.

There is a way around it (I had to do it, as I have no land-line) using a particular model of USB->Ethernet adapter (the Tivo has USB ports) but it only works on rare occassions (I was lucky). Newer TiVos are dropping this requirement, but it'll be months before the supply chain works out all the old ones, and there's no way to tell from outside the box what version you're getting when you buy it.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
When I was in the army, there was a guy who put his dish on the top of the truck when we were in the field...
And it worked, no line...

Well snow is coming!!! Can't wait to do some snowboard...
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
No need for a landline except to start up service for the DVR. I took mine to a neighbors and hooked up the landline for the initial setup stuff. At least with my D*TiVo I didn't need to have it hooked up to the dish for the TiVo setup, just a landline. Mine is nagging me now (it's been 87 days since it's phoned home) so I'll have to run my 100' line to the wall outlet way across the room.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
The cable company said they can do the initial setup at the office, then come out and hook it up. Then my wireless can take over.

I don't plan on getting any pay-per-view movies as I have Netflix. Just want the benefits of technology that Cebridge can't offer me.

Does anybody prefer one over the other for any particualr reason? DirectTV vs. Dish Network?

I may need to start looking at pricing and dropping my cable tv!

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150 For Sale195/55/15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on Steelies <10k miles - $300 PM me for more info
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
For my own I prefer cable bacause clouds and storm can make you lost your satelite signal.

Well snow is coming!!! Can't wait to do some snowboard...
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I have a friend who somehow hacked his TiVo to disregard the need to rely on the service. He's since stopped using it altogether and now set up a dedicated media center PC with two TV tuner cards installed (capable of recording two programs at the same time) and tons of hard drive space to record on.

Although I will admit the easy-to-use, watch-on-the-fly DVR is nice .. my cousins have it.

P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by Eric L:
The cable company said they can do the initial setup at the office, then come out and hook it up. Then my wireless can take over.

I don't plan on getting any pay-per-view movies as I have Netflix. Just want the benefits of technology that Cebridge can't offer me.

Does anybody prefer one over the other for any particualr reason? DirectTV vs. Dish Network?

I had directTV for about a year with a few buddies of mine in a house. We all had the 1st generation DirecTV-Tivo units, and with the bill split 6 ways it ended up being very cheap in the end. No regrets for me, I wouldn't hesitate to have them again. My parents have had them since '98 and have always been happy. I have no experience with dish but I don't think they are that much cheaper and I have been happy with DirecTV when we had them, they are who I would go with if I went back to satelite.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Eric L:

DirecTV with either the D*TiVo or their new DVR. The picture quality kicks cable's a** and, reliability is great, the channel packages are the best and you'll save $$ over cable.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard