Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
thanks to tony and everyone who replied before, i have solved about 50% of my bang shift problem. for any new folks researching this problem, this post proved quite helpful.

downshifting is now quite smooth. going into 2nd from 3rd is like butter, but some of the "lurch" remains going from 1st to 2nd.

i've read in other posts how swapping the tss only partially solved the problem for others, but i've not seen anything stating whether or not they were able to completely solve the issue.

the fluid is 2 months old, the tss is new, the range sensor is new. i once read something about transmission mounts, but i wouldn't know how to check the condition of those.

so two questions:

1. how to check transmission mounts
2. any other ideas for smoothing this "lurchy" shift

thanks!

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

Last edited by Tony2005; 11/14/05 04:05 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
quick update:

it seems the tss swap has done little to nothing to combat the bang or "lurchy" shift. it's been five or so days since i swapped it.

the first day after swapping, things seemed to smooth out a bit, but it may have just been wishful thinking. all the abruptness is still present, and what's worse is the recent descrease in temperatures here in atlanta has seemed to augment the issue -- for all gears, not just 2nd.

i suspect something's most likely to be wrong inside the transmission. but, never willing to give up, i thought i'd ask for a little more guidance on some possible additional steps. i'd really like to hear from someone who's completely fixed this issue.

so, my next questions are:

1. how about replacing the fluid with something else? i have no idea what's in there now. the fluid was last replaced a few months ago at the dealership. i have no idea what they used. is there a good quality fluid out there that may help with the bang issue? i see much mention of the "honey" stuff, but i'm no fluid expert...

2. transmission mount(s). how or why would these affect shifting? how many are there, total?

which one of these (or something else) would anyone recommend i try first? which is most likely to have an effect?

and please, if anyone has completely solved this issue, pipe up! my gut tells me this is an unsolvable issue, without transmission overhaul/replacement...

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"1. how about replacing the fluid with something else? i have no idea what's in there now. the fluid was last replaced a few months ago at the dealership. i have no idea what they used. is there a good quality fluid out there that may help with the bang issue? i see much mention of the "honey" stuff, but i'm no fluid expert..."

If Ford replaced it, it is probably Mercon which is probably as good as you can get for an ATX.

If you want try one more item (before the tranny mounts), how about the MLPS ($50). Of course, a MLPS issue should have a CEL code.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1040336&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
you are correct, tony. in fact, the fluid was changed at the dealership when i took it in for the mlps cel.

the mlps is new, the tss is new, the fluid is new.

i'm shying away from the mounts, because each time the pcm is reset, the shifting is smooth for a while -- most likely during the pcm self-test period. once the pcm is back in full-swing, the lurchy shifting returns (or at least that's my impression).

for instance, each time an o2 sensor was replaced, the pcm was reset, and the shifting was basically butter smooth. after a few days (self-test complete?) the lurch gradually returns. i don't see how mounts would affect this.

are there any other sensors on the transmission? anything else electronic that i could fiddle with?

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by jsark:
..are there any other sensors on the transmission? anything else electronic that i could fiddle with?

What year is your car. Maybe the wiring connecting your sensors is the problem.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
..are there any other sensors on the transmission? anything else electronic that i could fiddle with?

You do have the Vehicle Speed Sensor but I doubt the VSS is the problem. As suggested by CPW, check the connections for the sensors (just in case one is loose or something).

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Tony2005:
.... As suggested by CPW, check the connections for the sensors (just in case one is loose or something).

"or something" like flaking wiring insulation

J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
yeah, good suggestion. i've got a '98 SE with about 105k.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard