Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Well - I took the "both" approach, backing off a little on each to keep the budget reasonable.

My '95 Contour GL Duratec isn't an SVT - but is still a lot of fun, even with an ATX, and I could add some SVT upgrades (don't currently have the funds or interest to do this). I've got a set of 95 SE wheels in addition to the stock steel wheels, so I don't have to compromise on summer vs. winter tires.

I've owned the '86 Mustang GT since '88; it was my daily driver for a number of years. Now I can save it for dry, sunny days. If driven responsibly, the drivetrain is remarkably reliable: The crankcase on my 5.0 has never been opened at 208K miles (I may finally drop the pan to fix an annoying oil drip). A surprising number of items are still original (alternator, P/S pump, starter, radiator). The tranny is still an unopened original; finally replaced the clutch at 200K. I keep waiting for something important and expensive to break - but it just keeps going, so I keep driving it.

The future? Personally, I'm hoping for a Fusion with the new 3.5 and a manual transmission...

1995 Contour GL V6 ATX T/C 1986 Mustang GT 5.0 2000 Windstar LX
J
jtour Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Guys/Gals I think I might go with the Stang. I will post pics of what I get SOON!

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by AliasJerk:
Originally posted by jtour:
Okay I have been looking at buying either a Mustang Gt or a CSVT. I have an opprotunity to buy a 95 Mustang Gt Convertable with 66,000 original miles for $6,000 or I can buy a 1999 CSVT with 74,000 miles for $6,000. I want both cars but which should I buy? Which one would you buy? Both the Stang and the Tour are super clean and well kept. Both cars would be "weekend cars" not daily driven. I just dont know what to do. I hope some day to own both cars but which would be the best to buy now?

Please Help!!

Think about prticality, as well as probability cost. On one hand you have a very nice beastly muscle car that probably will Destroy the pocket book on insurance prices and gas prices, not to mention something that you really cant/shouldnt drive in the winter, and probably in the near future will have to put a new top on it (as nice as a convertable Stang is). Byall means if you can afford all of that go for the mustang. On the other hand, you have a newer car, with a different smaller engine which is pratical because it will handle pretty well in the winter, as well as turn a few heads when you have you escipades of "spirited driving." I personally think a CSVT has a nicer ride and a little more class then a Mustang GT... The CSVT, when introduced, was known as the "poor man's BMW." Another important fact... The Mustang GT is STILL made, the Contour SVT isnt. So if you want to own both of these cars, chances are if you buy the mustang, You wont find a good contour SVT when you look for something different. But if you choose the CSVT NOW, you can drive it for a couple of years, then decide its time to move on and buy a cooler newer Mustang GT.

I agree with everything this guy just said. The CSVT rides better, and will cost a lot less to insure and drive due to better gas mileage. Plus the fact that you'll be able to purchase a similar Mustang GT several years from now without much trouble, whereas the CSVT is getting harder and harder to find. (And I just really don't like the new Mustangs - and by "new" I mean anything less than 25 years old)

E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3095/6535 Alpine CDA-9851
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by Rishodi:
Originally posted by AliasJerk:
Okay I have been looking at buying either a Mustang Gt or a CSVT. I have an opprotunity to buy a 95 Mustang Gt Convertable with 66,000 original miles for $6,000 or I can buy a 1999 CSVT with 74,000 miles for $6,000. I want both cars but which should I buy? Which one would you buy? Both the Stang and the Tour are super clean and well kept. Both cars would be "weekend cars" not daily driven. I just dont know what to do. I hope some day to own both cars but which would be the best to buy now?

Please Help!!

Think about prticality, as well as probability cost. On one hand you have a very nice beastly muscle car that probably will Destroy the pocket book on insurance prices and gas prices, not to mention something that you really cant/shouldnt drive in the winter, and probably in the near future will have to put a new top on it (as nice as a convertable Stang is). Byall means if you can afford all of that go for the mustang. On the other hand, you have a newer car, with a different smaller engine which is pratical because it will handle pretty well in the winter, as well as turn a few heads when you have you escipades of "spirited driving." I personally think a CSVT has a nicer ride and a little more class then a Mustang GT... The CSVT, when introduced, was known as the "poor man's BMW." Another important fact... The Mustang GT is STILL made, the Contour SVT isnt. So if you want to own both of these cars, chances are if you buy the mustang, You wont find a good contour SVT when you look for something different. But if you choose the CSVT NOW, you can drive it for a couple of years, then decide its time to move on and buy a cooler newer Mustang GT.

I agree with everything this guy just said. The CSVT rides better, and will cost a lot less to insure and drive due to better gas mileage. Plus the fact that you'll be able to purchase a similar Mustang GT several years from now without much trouble, whereas the CSVT is getting harder and harder to find. (And I just really don't like the new Mustangs - and by "new" I mean anything less than 25 years old)

I agree for the most part, but why not be a pimp and whore your car? I love convertibles.

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
Guys/Gals I think I might go with the Stang. I will post pics of what I get SOON!

I think going with the 'Stang is a good choice cuz that's more of a weekend car and it's got some decent mileage for a 96!

Never owned a contour, but my b/f 99contourdriver does. My ride: Silver 92 T-Bird 5.0 ATX Mods in progress
J
jtour Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by tbirddriver92:

I think going with the 'Stang is a good choice cuz that's more of a weekend car and it's got some decent mileage for a 96!

Im sorry its a 95 5.0 Stang. TYPO!!! My bad. But I made my decision and I went with the MUSTANG!!! BOY am I excited!!! Dont get me wrong I still want a CSVT....So as I save my money I will keep my eye out for a good deal. I will post pics soon!

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K

Im sorry its a 95 5.0 Stang. TYPO!!! My bad. But I made my decision and I went with the MUSTANG!!! BOY am I excited!!! Dont get me wrong I still want a CSVT....So as I save my money I will keep my eye out for a good deal. I will post pics soon!

Congrats on the purchase. Have fun with it, any mods planned yet?

Kip 98 CSVT Black/Midnight Blue
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
You'll love the Stang. I know I love mine. Come check out Stangnet.com forums for mods on the Stang.

2000 SE Sport Duratec MTX SVT Exhaust 2002 Mustang GT A few mods
J
jtour Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by kipsvt98:

Congrats on the purchase. Have fun with it, any mods planned yet?

The mods for this car will be all performance. After I clean her up big time. I need to clean the interior and the engine bay. Im so stoked about this ride. I have never had anything with this much power!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard