Next Thread
Print Thread
C
c150L Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Up until last night, the heater fan in my 96 Contour has been normal. I go to leave for work this morning, windows all frosted up and come to find out, no heater fan. It does seem to be running on low only, as just the fact that I was sitting there, I could feel heat come out the panel vents when I switched to that, the the next 2 or 3 clicks of the switch beyond that LOW or minimum fan speed setting yeilds nothing more.

Any ideas? If ther ewas nothing at all coming out I might think a fuse or the fan motor. It does seem like the fan is running on low though.

Someone wouldn't have a wiring diagram they could scan, would they?

Thanks in advance,
Dale

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You may need an new blower motor resistor. The speed switch itself could be bad, one or the other. When our Mystiques lost all but high speed it was the switch. You have low, so maybe it is the resistor. Schematic available via e-mail, if you need it.

C
c150L Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Yesterday morning, I did get to check fuses and relay (#14 & #27 I believe.). With either pulled out, the low speed of the fan stops running.

Next, to get into the fan switch and resistor. If anyone has any pointers on locating/accessing the resistor and/or accessing the fan switch, such tips or short cut would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale

C
c150L Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Found the resistor pack and thinking the issue might not be with that. Is that thing riveted into that air box?

Still have not found access to the switch, but thinking that is the problem. I turned it on this afternoon, and found that the first position off the "low" (minimum) setting now increases the fan speed that one step. A couple flick and all of a sudden, high starts working. Of those 2 positions between low and high, let;s call them 1 and 2, only one works. So now I have low, 1 and high. If I unplug the resistor pack, I only have high. I would think that points to the switch as the problem, as high appears to have nothing to do with the resistor pack and up to yesterday, only low worked.

Appears to me that low might only go through the resistor pack and high only through the switch. Can someone verify that with a schematic?

Still looking for the best way to get at the fan switch. Any suggestions appreciated.

Dale

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I am looking at the schematic:

Low goes through all 3 resistors in the pack

1 goes through 2 resistors

2 (missing speed) goes through 1 resistor

High switch goes past the resistors, which is why it works on high. It looks like if you unplugged the whole switch you have low speed only, and if you unplugged the resistor it would run on high as you found. You might have a bad connection on the terminal for speed 2 in the resistor (I did on my Dodge a while ago, rust) or a bad switch. Take out the resistor pack, and have a look, easier than removing the switch. This FAQ and procedures may help.

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=23

I tried linking to diagrams below, but you would need to subscribe to alldatadiy.com.

Schematic! use 3rd picture

Remove blower resistor alldata

Remove climate control switch panel alldata

Maybe I could e-mail them if you need them.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I got a Photobucket account, here is the Schematic of the blower motor circuit and other pics relevant to the procedures below:
I figured out how to put the text and photos back together, it's a dull evening I always wanted to post images!

Blower Motor schematic

Written procedure to remove blower resistor

REMOVAL

Working from inside the vehicle, disengage clips and remove upper footwell trim panel from the passenger side.
Disconnect wire harness from heater blower motor switch resistor.

Insert screwdriver approximately 5 mm (0.2 inch) under edge of heater blower motor switch resistor to disengage retainer and remove heater blower motor switch resistor.
INSTALLATION

Position heater blower motor switch resistor on A/C evaporator housing and snap into place.
Connect wiring harness.
Install upper footwell trim panel.
Check blower motor for proper operation at all speeds.
Copyright �© 2005 ALLDATA LLC
Terms of Use

Written procedure to remove climate panel:

1995 Mercury Mystique V6-153 2.5L DOHC

Top - Vehicle
Heating and Air Conditioning
. Control Assembly
. . Service and Repair
. . . Climate Control Assembly

Notes

Climate Control Assembly

[image][/image]

REMOVAL

Disconnect battery ground cable. CAUTION: Do not use excessive force when installing removing tool. This will damage retaining clips, making radio chassis or digital audio compact disc player removal difficult.
Install Radio Removing Tool T87P-19061-A into radio face plate or digital audio compact disc player face plate. Push tool in approximately 25.4 mm (1 inch) to release retaining clips.

Apply a slight spreading force on tool and pull radio chassis or digital audio compact disc player from instrument panel.

Disconnect the connectors and remove the radio chassis and digital audio compact disc player.
Open ash receptacle and remove two screws retaining control opening finish panel to instrument panel. Snap finish panel away from instrument panel.
Disconnect light switch rheostat resistor wiring connector.

Disconnect wire connectors from the heater control.

Disconnect vacuum hose harness from heater control.
Remove four screws and heater control from finish panel.
INSTALLATION

Position heater control in control opening finish panel and install retaining screws.
Connect wire connector(s) and vacuum hose harness to heater control.
Connect dash dimmer switch wiring connector.
Install control opening finish panel by snapping it into place. Secure finish panel with two screws.
Connect wiring connectors and antenna cable to radio chassis.
Slide radio chassis into instrument panel, making sure that radio chassis or rear radio chassis support of the digital audio compact disc player is engaged on the upper support rail.
Push radio chassis or digital audio compact disc player inward until retaining clips are fully engaged.
Connect battery ground cable.
Test radio chassis and digital audio compact disc player for operation.
Copyright �© 2005 ALLDATA LLC
Terms of Use

[image][/image]

C
c150L Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Thank you very much for all the help. Going out in the sleet to pull fan switch now. Great diagrams and text.

Dale

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You're welcome, glad to help. I got this off
www.alldatadiy.com, which sometimes has better procedures than the original manuals. {Is a c150l a Cessna,btw? My Dad says the owners manual is around somewhere...He got his license in 1981 he was in a flying club, not current though.}

C
c150L Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
You are correct. I bought a 72 150 and started on my license in Dec of 94. First solo April fools day of 95 and license in July 95. Kind of surprising on how many pick up on that c150L.

The fan switch repair went very smooth. Even the switch was was easily refurbished and working properly again.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
How did you refurbish it? A new one is not overpriced, if it fails again. I think many people have flown in the C150, a popular trainer. I took one very nice flight in the 150 with my Dad, he later flew a Skyhawk and a Cherokee Archer. Cessnas are better for sightseeing. I am fairly sure the same planes are still at the flying club today, repainted a few times...

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard