Next Thread
Print Thread
#1433155 11/10/05 03:40 AM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
My gear shift indicator on my ATX is not working correctly. The soft plastic insert before the shifter handle has broken. Has anyone here done this repair and know what it takes to remove and replace? Had most of the center consule apart today but it looks like the shifter handle will have to come off to access everything properly. Any tips on how to remove handle, none of my manuals show this in detail.

Thanks - Curt

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
I haven't replaced the bit you're talking about but I've had the shifter off to get at the brake shift interlock. There is a set screw on the handle, pointing at the driver's seat, loosen it with a small allen key and you should be able to slide the handle up off the shaft.

The trick is, the O/D off switch (in the handle) has wires that run down into the shifter. As I recall, I was able to pull firmly but gently enough to raise the handle clear of the shaft without disconnecting the O/D wires, but it felt really tight.

Once the handle is off the shaft you should be able to take of f the whole center console, don't forget the screw(s) inside the armrest/CD holder.

Good luck.

'95 Contour GL, Zetec/ATX Repairs: * wheel bearings * sway bar stop * CV joint * alternator * shift interlock * heater tube * VSS * tensioner * ingition coil * wire harnesses * ball joint * Why do I still love it?
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
pangloss, thanks for the info. I will give it another look this weekend.

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
On mine the shift indicator was fastened to the shift lever with electrician's tape... bought it that way, always meant to fix it, but only put better tape on it...

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard