Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rearden Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
I sure felt out of touch with the computing world the other day..

My 5 year old Philips CRT monitor bit the dust, so I went shopping for a replacement. Now I know LCD monitors are very popular, but I had no idea they've pretty much completely replaced CRT screens. Every place I went had nothing but LCD monitors, and one or two el cheapo CRT models. They're like VHS tapes now! Since when did that happen?! I need to do a better job of keeping up with this stuff considering I'm a programmer for a living.

Anyway, I ended up getting a 17" LCD Samsung. The brightness hurt my eyes for a while, but now I find it much more pleasant to use for long periods of time because it's so nice and clear. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
When LCD refresh rates became as good as CRT's which just happened in the last few months. So the higher latency LCD's are now dirt cheap.

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
My only problem is that I run dual monitors, and when I plugged in an LCD monitor, the picture quality couldn't hold a candle to my CRT. I'm sure it'd be better if I used a DVI connection instead of the standard VGA connection, but I've yet to find find a reasonably priced video card with dual DVI ports.

R
rearden Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Cartman Reincarnated:
My only problem is that I run dual monitors, and when I plugged in an LCD monitor, the picture quality couldn't hold a candle to my CRT.

Were you running the LCD at its native resolution? It's usually 1024x768 for small low-end models or 1280x1024 for most others. Anything outside of the native res looks like absolute crap. Otherwise the picture quality should be at least as good as a good CRT monitor.

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
My only problem is that I run dual monitors, and when I plugged in an LCD monitor, the picture quality couldn't hold a candle to my CRT. I'm sure it'd be better if I used a DVI connection instead of the standard VGA connection, but I've yet to find find a reasonably priced video card with dual DVI ports.

6800gt and two sun 21" crts here...
you can find 6800's priced decently these days and they are availble in agp and pcix

my 2cents is that you can get a much nicer crt for the money.

Last edited by FattyB iLLin; 11/09/05 02:48 PM.

Former owner of a 1998 SF CSVT
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by FattyB iLLin:

6800gt and two sun 21" crts here...
you can find 6800's priced decently these days and they are availble in agp and pcix

my 2cents is that you can get a much nicer crt for the money.

and completely kill any useable desktop space

I'm probably going to buy a 2nd matching LCD soon to run dual displays.

What i really want to get is a new Creative X-Fi sound card... Dont have the $ though...

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Andy W.:
When LCD refresh rates became as good as CRT's which just happened in the last few months. So the higher latency LCD's are now dirt cheap.

-Andy

A very important consideration if you're a gamer.

<== (* Still running CRTs everywhere except work *)

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by guitarman19853:
and completely kill any useable desktop space

get a bigger desk

j/k i know that lcd's make sense when you have to work with the space your are given, especially if you want 2 screens.

i'm holding out on an LCD until it's affordable to buy one that displays 1600x1200 @ 85Hz

Former owner of a 1998 SF CSVT
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Why can't a 19" LCD display 1600x1200? i run that on my 19" CRT at home which is really 18" vieable. My work laptop is 17.4" widescreen LCD at 1920x1200. I don't need 20"+, but I need pixels!

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
It's not so much the refresh rate as more a combination of response speed and brightness and contrast. Certain models will try and compensate lower ability with higher brightness. The refresh rate is more of a moot point on LCD's as they do not have the same build as CRT's.

I've seen in the last year that LCD's have now hit a standard that just about anybody can use them. The lower response times made them viable for gamers, which was the biggest stumbling block to them becoming a major hit.

As for 19" @ 1600x1200 ... check out a 20" they should run that. ViewSonic make a relatively nice one, as well as a nifty little 23" 1900x1200.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard