Next Thread
Print Thread
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
My car:
'96 Mystique Duratech ATX. 87,000 miles, bone stock.
New upstream O2 sensors, not so great downstream ones
Brand new fuel pump, kinda noisy
Almost completely out of gas

This happened for the first time this morning. It was fine on my way to church, but as I was leaving, I floored it. Right at 2500, the engine hesitated like i just took my foot off of the gas, the reengaged until 4000, where it did exactly the same thing, then finally went through and made it to second gear. I tried it a couple more times, and it didn't happen every time i floored it in first, but it seemed to only happen in first, and always at those two RPM levels.
After I filled up with gas, I drove around for a while, and it didn't happen again. I'm reeeeally hoping this is not the transmission, it's only got 87K on it. A couple weeks ago I took the car in for a CEL, turns out it was running lean and the fuel pressure was low, so the same mechanic that replaced both O2 sensors last summer put in a new fuel pump. He also mentioned that after driving around a bit with the computer hooked up he saw the downstream O2 sensors were firing fairly slow and would need replacing very soon. I'm hoping something besides tranny failure is causing this, what do you guys think?

"Mod your car tastefully because other people have to look at it." -Me
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by PurpleMystique:
My car:
'96 Mystique Duratech ATX. 87,000 miles, bone stock.
New upstream O2 sensors, not so great downstream ones
Brand new fuel pump, kinda noisy
Almost completely out of gas

This happened for the first time this morning. It was fine on my way to church, but as I was leaving, I floored it. Right at 2500, the engine hesitated like i just took my foot off of the gas, the reengaged until 4000, where it did exactly the same thing, then finally went through and made it to second gear. I tried it a couple more times, and it didn't happen every time i floored it in first, but it seemed to only happen in first, and always at those two RPM levels.
After I filled up with gas, I drove around for a while, and it didn't happen again. I'm reeeeally hoping this is not the transmission, it's only got 87K on it. A couple weeks ago I took the car in for a CEL, turns out it was running lean and the fuel pressure was low, so the same mechanic that replaced both O2 sensors last summer put in a new fuel pump. He also mentioned that after driving around a bit with the computer hooked up he saw the downstream O2 sensors were firing fairly slow and would need replacing very soon. I'm hoping something besides tranny failure is causing this, what do you guys think?

What did you find when you searched?

Oh, and this is God telling you to stop going to church.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
The threads I came up said plugs, plug gap, wires, or exhaust. I got all new plugs this summer so I'm guess that's not it, and the exhaust stuff would cause a CEL, so I don't know if that isn't the problem or I just haven't gotten the light yet. It just worries me because it was always at those exact RPM's.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
...Almost completely out of gas

After I filled up with gas, I drove around for a while, and it didn't happen again. ...

If it happens again when you have gas, change the fuel filter and post any CEL codes you have. If it happens when you completely out of gas, it is probably the "crud" from the bottom of the tank clogging up the filters.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
The filter was replaced along with the pump, so that's not it. I drove a lot tonight, and it didn't happen at all, so I'm hoping it was something along those lines.

P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
I can see where some garbage could cause this, but why would it be exactly at 2500 and 4000?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
..but why would it be exactly at 2500 and 4000?

Probably not always exactly at those RPMs but I would check the air filter and clean the MAF sensor.

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=36

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard