Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SVTNupe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I've read a lot discussion about various aftermarket clutches and flywheels for our Contour. What I haven't seen, is an overwhelming opinion of what the best comibination/setup is that is reasonably priced and provides good performance. I personally would hate to purchase a clutch that's noisey and harsh to use for daily driving or a flywheel that's going to destroy itslef after few thousands miles of use. Is there anyone that can suggest a overall well performaning clutch kit and flywheel that's reasonably priced (under $700)???

Curtis
Dead 98 Black SVT
C
C
Well...the Fidanza Flywheel is like $350, and a good clutch is like $500...so under $700 is possible still, but you're not getting the best. If I'mnot mistaken the Sachs clutch (stock), has a heavy duty version, which isn't too much. Then there's Ram Clutches, and Grizzley for stock replacements...or there is the Centerforce, Clutchmaster, or Unorthodox clutch for performance clutches. Prices rnge from $250-$650...I think the SHOShop flywheel is the cheapest...I believe...

1995 Probe GT ATX TOO MANY MODS
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
Stage 1: (Basic Mods)B&M STS, Bassani Exhaust, KKM intake w/ weapon R pipe, ProFlow 75mm MAF w/optimiser, YoDude Y-pipe w/hi flow cat, SVT TB, SVT Upper IM, OMP FSTB,AF gauge, Aerogear fiberglass hood (completed)
Stage 2: (Top End Work) 19-24lb injectors, P&P heads w larger valves and HPC coated, P&P and port matched lower intake manifold also HPC coated, custom ground cams, Ford Racing 9mm wires, Bosch +4 plugs, Custom burned PAC or Diablo chip (will dyno with both), Apexi SAFC (In Progress)
Stage 3: (Transmission) Quaife LSD, CM stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza flywheel (In progress)
Stage 4: (Suspension)Koni adjustibles, H&R springs, Progress 21mm rear anti sway bar (Installing on Tues)
Current dyno: 172.9 whp with just bolt ons and stock exhaust manifolds (not gutted), oh, and bad wires smile...
S
SVTNupe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks CV6MTX. I knew about the selection and pricing. I just haven't got a good feeling about the over performance and satisfaction that folks feel about these aftermarket clutches and flywheel.

Curtis
Dead 98 Black SVT
D
D
SVT Pressure plate, Clutchmaster disc, SHOShop Flywheel (~$800)
Don't forget $600+ for labor too...
For that much; might as well spend $500 for quaife and another $100ish for install...

Now you are all set...

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
N
N
I'm in the process of pulling out my dead 2.5L motor. Since the transmission will also be taken out for a rebuild (leaking tranny fluid), I'll be adding the Quaife and a new flywheel and clutch. laugh

98 Black CSVT
92k Miles
Dead 2.5L
3.0L In Work
S
S
Ah Spend da MONEY!!!!! laugh

I did and it made me a bit lighter in my back pocket. Spending $1700 on Clutchmaster, Fidanza and Quaife doesn't actually qualify for your $700 qouta, but I thought I entice you a bit, or maybe I scared you the hell away.

As I'm still waiting for Terry to finish my trans, Oh there goes a SH!T load more money, I won't be able to help you out in the, "I have experienced it category!" But maybe later....Aloha wink

Performance Xpress Racing
Silverbulitt@msn.com

Our websit www.PXRacing.com is coming soon!!

We carry Contour/Cougar parts for the 2.5 Duratech and 2.0 Zetec
S
SVTNupe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The Quaife is already in the budget. That's why I didn't include it in the cost of the clutch and flyhweel.

I guess I'm just going to have to take a leap of faith on this purchase. Does the clutchmaster chatter when it's not engaged???

Silva Bullitt, you purchased the Fidanza flywheel???

Curtis
Dead 98 Black SVT
N
N
I have the cluchmaster clutch, it is a good cluch and yes it does chatter.

Nick10@onebox.com
98 Svt/Silver frost
Reinforced engine mounts
B&M Shifter
KKM intake
custom exhaust
Stage 2 axles
Omp strut brace
Ground-control/koni suspension
Mirko front spoiler
Quaife "Waiting to be installed"
Pre 98 console
S
S
Yes, I have the Fidanza and S-3 Clutchmaster on my shelf waiting for the trans from Terry so I can put everything in.

Nick says his clutch chatters, I really would like to comment on that but as I haven't officially installed my setup yet I need to wait on that.

I guess the main thing is it's installed properly, if using the stock flywheel have it resurfaced, make sure you do the recommended 500 mile breakin period and hopefully everything should go well. I'm sure hoping, cause it's been 5wks since I drove my Tour, once I get it back on the road, you can guarantee I'm gonna hammer the hell out of my car, after 500 miles of course!!! Ho Hoaloha, Aloha No' cool

Performance Xpress Racing
Silverbulitt@msn.com

Our websit www.PXRacing.com is coming soon!!

We carry Contour/Cougar parts for the 2.5 Duratech and 2.0 Zetec

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard