Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
What is the "K&N Flaw"?

Sorry.
Guess I just assumed it was obvious by looking at its layered construction and their gentle cleaning instructions.
With the woven design you can actually follow their instructions of brushing the filter and even using compressed air at a safe distance of 2-3 feet.
I looked at K&Ns site. I didn't see an actual claim for their layered design but they did say their filter is good at handling dirt 10 to 20 microns in size. Woven cotton boldly claims protection down to 5 microns.

2005 RED GTO w/ M6 - Lingenfelter CAI - Corsa Sport Cat-Back - SLP LTs - C5 Pads
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
So who makes the woven filters for Contour?
And where can I read more about it?

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
This has been covered before. People show no additional metals in the oil after running a K&N. 10 micron bits of dirt are not going to kill an engine.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by TSIN03SE:
So who makes the woven filters for Contour?
And where can I read more about it?

http://www.greenfilterusa.com/

Depending on your needs http://www.mirkoracing.com/ offers green filters for $45 - $60

Last edited by ModBoss; 11/02/05 04:09 PM.

2005 RED GTO w/ M6 - Lingenfelter CAI - Corsa Sport Cat-Back - SLP LTs - C5 Pads
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
This has been covered before. People show no additional metals in the oil after running a K&N. 10 micron bits of dirt are not going to kill an engine.

Im guessing that 5 microns is twice as good as 10 microns for about the same price.
And I don't know that the woven cotton offers any disadvantanges to the layered cotton, just advantages, imo.

Peace.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Green Filters are nice, but don't flow quite as well as K&N, and cost 50% more. I have no real experience with them, though, just what I've read.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
More on topic, this was talked about just a few weeks ago:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=perf&Number=1070981

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Green Filters are nice, but don't flow quite as well as K&N, and cost 50% more. I have no real experience with them, though, just what I've read.

I can see where that would be the case because of their differnt approach to filtering with cotton. For me I would trade the better filtering and design over the little bit better flow. The price is a little higher for going green. I didn't mind it too much. K&N is a good product that I've used since the late 80s - Green filters are something that I just stumbled onto and I'm happier with their filter. I dont expect to convert anybody.
Just stated a few facts about both filters.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
You didn't just state facts, you said that K&N has a "Design Flaw". K&N are designed to be the highest-flowing filters, at a price that every Civic driver can afford. They are designed to meet that goal, and they do. K&N are good, Green are good, but just a little different. I'm sure most people here would be equally well served by any high-quality cone filter. Hell, most people are just going for the looks and noise of it!

Just noting that your comment was inflammatory. Try to keep statements a little more factual. This place has more scares than the emails your great-aunt sends you, and not a lot of solid information to back them up.

H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
I dont own a duratec so let me say that now. But I have spoken with a k&n rep at the grand reopening at my store. He stated that there isnt much of an increase in anything unless u drive alot of highway miles. He also stated that k&n filters can be bad for you in the city. Less milage and so fourth. I did not talk to him on the racing part of things tho. So im just throwing out what I know.

Price of body kit so far...$3 Price of wing...$20 Feeling that everyone is staring at your contour...PRICELESS
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard