Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
If it is the head gasket that has gone. I know on my old car that I had to have that fixed it was relatively expensive but wasnt expensive enough to not fix either. You may want to shop around and see what another mechanic would charge.

1998 BLK SVT CONTOUR #2980 of 6535 395,000(ish) km (and counting) SVTOA-TORONTO Chapter Director www.svtoa-toronto.ca
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I dont think he's wanting to find a cheaper solution. I think he just really wants a 3L. no matter how much we give him ideas, I believe he's made up his mind

97 T-Red LX ATX pre98 CF SVT front,SVT rear/side skirts FSVT wheels Custom Front Ford Logo (body Colour) 35% tint all around with sun visor WP With Metal Impeller? Elky Grills CTA Intake CTA Custom Dual Exhaust
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by SnafuFlux:
I dont think he's wanting to find a cheaper solution. I think he just really wants a 3L. no matter how much we give him ideas, I believe he's made up his mind

DING DING DING...give him a prize its the one time i have a chance to do this so im gonna take it...then sell the svt engine i guess...

Wesley

1999 SVT black And a Blond Haired Blue eyes girlfriend. How can it get any better?
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Damn it why the hell couldn't your 2.5 engine crap out on you before I got my 3L.

Aaron

AKA NVS SVT 98.5 Silver/Blue SVT#4553 Yeah it's modded 98 T-Red/Blue SVT Contour Totaled 06/05/06 03 3L,VCN 2000,CAT Cams,MSDS Headers w/Y-Pipe,XCal2 and lots more
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I'm a bit late to this party, but...

Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
Originally posted by 1FASTDAD:
the reason we know its the exaust...is cuz its causing my antifreze to boil..

wesley

Hunh? I doubt that exhaust gases in the coolant would heat it up enough to cause it to boil.....of course I could be wrong.

This is exactly what will happen - I know 'cause I've been there.

If the head gasket fails in the 'correct' place, exhaust gasses will indeed be blown into the cooling system. Since the exhaust gasses are *hot*, they don't have any problem boiling the coolant near the leak. Enough of this will vaporlock the system, leading to 'China Syndrome' overheating (that goes away in just a couple of min. when the engine is shut down).

I've got a '96 LX (~180k kms) with this problem. The car was running fine most of the time (it's been sitting for about a year now), but certain weather conditions would push it over the edge. In my case, the failure is on the back bank, and it is, as has been pointed out, a very pricey repair (FWIW, if you happen to want a sick 'Tour, drop me a PM).

Whoever decided to use 'bio-degradable' water pumps on these motors can take a very long walk on a short pier as far as I'm concerned

Cheers,
--
Terry McG

R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
How much? I could use a parts car.

Most parts would be interchangeable between the '96 and my '95. LOL

1994 White Mazda B3000 4x4, 5 speed, lifted, Jet chip, UDP, K&N. 1995 Pumice Metallic Contour LX, 2.5l V6, 5 speed.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard