Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rearden Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Quote:

Mercedes-Benz USA LLC is persisting in its campaign to bring flashing brake lights to the United States.

The company is counting on its customers to help convince U.S. regulators of the safety benefits of brake lights that flash rapidly in emergency stops.

Mercedes-Benz has asked the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for a two-year exemption from federal rules that require "steady-burning" lights on vehicles. ...

original article

I'm all for this. I think it would prevent a lot of accidents, especially in big cities where you can be doing 75+ for several miles, go around a curve, and grind to a screeching halt for no apparent reason.

It would be especially cool if they could make one minor addition: If the brakes have been on for more than 10 seconds with no noticeable deceleration, then flash the lights when the driver actually uses them to slow down significantly. I hate when I get behind some jackass who constantly has their foot on the brake pedal just enough to turn on the lights.

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i thought the flashing brake lights were meant for emergency reasons

i think it might be more annoying then anything but hey it would get your attention and that is a good thing

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Odd...there's a Focus at my job that has a flashing cyclops light...I didn't know that it was an option on european vehicles..

Turbocharged trolling around here somewhere. Beat your wife, Potvin, beat your wife! True Blue 06...err...07~LET'S GO RANGERS!!
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
i always thought it would be a good idea to have the brake light grow in size and intensity the harder the pedal is pressed. So if your behind someone and you see the brake light real bright and big you know he stepped on the pedal big time, and if its just one of those dudes holding his foot on the brake its smaller and not as bright.....

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by brapple:
i think it might be more annoying then anything but hey it would get your attention and that is a good thing

Yeah, would be annoying, but if it only worked under REALLY hard braking (like avoiding a deer/moose), then it would be more of a safety feature since other drivers would be like WTF! and hit their brakes too...

Originally posted by 00ContourSE:
Odd...there's a Focus at my job that has a flashing cyclops light...I didn't know that it was an option on european vehicles..

I was in Charleston, SC a few years ago, and almost every car I saw had a flashing 3rd brake light. Was mostly the Fords, I think (like the Crown Vics and Grand Marquis).

Originally posted by loggerbomb:
i always thought it would be a good idea to have the brake light grow in size and intensity the harder the pedal is pressed. So if your behind someone and you see the brake light real bright and big you know he stepped on the pedal big time, and if its just one of those dudes holding his foot on the brake its smaller and not as bright.....

Done.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
hmmm, now thats something i think should be put on all cars....

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P

Standard on all current generation BMWs: "Two-stage adaptive brake lights enlarge the brake light area in hard braking or whenever ABS is activated." The LED taillights on all current BMWs allow this easily.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Not a bad idea. I always liked the neon brake light on the last generation Mark VIIIs. Very noticable. I also hate how the yellow turn signals seem to be going the way of the dodo. Why in the world is a turn signal and a brake light the same color and even sometimes the same bulb? The only way I can tell that someone is braking hard is to watch the nose dive, but that only works on old American sedans and wagons.

2000 Contour SE
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A

Weird I've always been thinking that, and when I clicked on this topic I was thinking the same thing....

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
I have seen the flashing brake lights on motorcycles.

And I remember watching a TV program a few years ago where the Europeans were experimenting with a lighted high mount amber light which turns off, when the brakes are stepped on (and the two red high mount lights, one on the left and one on the right of the amber light, come on). Apparently, this makes the drivers behind more aware of the car in front stepping on the brakes.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard