Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
I hope someone on here can help me. So my alternator on my 99 CSVT went out. I read all the information on here including the two alternator how-to's (very informative by the way). I went about doing it the way Ray outlined in his, and for the most part, things went ok. Got the old one out and put the new one back in. Got all the connectors hooked back up, as well as the two through bolts on the main bracket. Here is where the [big] problem started. That f'ing 10mm bolt in the middle of the alternator is giving me nothing but headaches. I have spent literally the last 4 hours trying every combination I can think of to get that bolt back in. Nothing...short of taking off the Y-pipe.

So here is my question. With the other two bolts in and tightened, can I just leave that third bolt out? What is it for anyway? Will the alternator rattle around without it? Please let me know if I can just leave that third bolt out, then my life would be much simpler. Thanks in advance!!

Shaun

Proud new owner of a 1999 Ford Contour SVT
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
I wouldn't leave the bolt out.
Did you tighten the other bolts up yet? Start all the bolts before you tighten up any of them. If the y-pipe gives you more room I would take it off, but the bolts can be rusted on there, be warned. Use lots of penetrating oil. Good luck

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
I could actually start all the bolts by hand. (Admittedly, I have a smaller frame, so that MAY have helped, but I don't remember it being anywhere near "totally cramped" for my hand. Also.. You can try (I think I mentioned it on the how-to) threading them from the OUTSIDE towards the INSIDE first. (the bottom two bolts, that is; you can't see the top bolt from the "outside edge")Doing this will ensure that the alternator is aligned correctly, and once both bolts are able to thread through smoothly, take one out, flip it around, and re-thread it. the bracket should hold on tight enough to keep the holes lined up while you do so.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Thanks for the replies. Actually, the top and bottom bolts are both threaded in completeley from the driver's side. I can start the middle bolt by hand, but my whole problem is in the fact that I can't get a socket/extension combo up in there to tighten it down. I just need to know if leaving that middle botl out will cause any adverse effects. I tightened the top and bottom bolts and started the car up; it doesn't look as if the alternator is going anywhere. So any advice on whether leaving that bolt out will eventually cause a problem would be greatly apprecated. Thanks!!

Shaun

Proud new owner of a 1999 Ford Contour SVT
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Got u-joint?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
dont leave the other bolt out, I did that and I went through 5 alternators(all under warrantee) because at high rpms the rear fan would vibrate and come off of the stator shaft and short out the brushes.

95 mystique daily driver 96 mystique parts car 95 contour 3.0L oval port swap in the works check my classified ad

Link Copied to Clipboard